Next step up from Xonar DG?
May 21, 2014 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Gavinfoxx

New Head-Fier
Hi there, I have some DT770-80's, and my Xonar DG seems to have some trouble working with my new Windows 7 computer.  I game and listen to some music on my computer. If I were to upgrade sound card, what would the next step up be?

May 21, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #2 of 20
b4 getting a new sound card, did you try downloading the windows 7 driver from the asus website?

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Xonar+DG&os=30

May 21, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 20
Actually, before using the drivers from Asus's website, give the Unified drivers a try: http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

A lot of head-fiers use those drivers instead of Asus's. More stable.

Oh, and be sure to disable your old sound card in the bios. That might help with stability :)

May 23, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 20
Yea, I disabled onboard and installed those drivers. It still doesn't detect my Xonar device... not even that it is plugged in or exists.  It's really weird -- my computer doesn't even think anything is plugged in AT ALL to the PCI slot...  I think it might be some sort of hardware fault.  What is the sound card that is the next step up from the xonar dg, then?

May 23, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 20
So the card previously worked on another machine? If so, make certain the card is well-seated. Take it out again and push it in very evenly. Sometimes that can be the problem.

May 24, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 20
  Hi there, I have some DT770-80's, and my Xonar DG seems to have some trouble working with my new Windows 7 computer.  I game and listen to some music on my computer. If I were to upgrade sound card, what would the next step up be?

You could remove the Xonar DG, enable the motherboard's on-board audio, update to the latest drivers, see how it sounds.

Might consider getting the Xonar DGX sound card ($30-$40), really the same card as the DG, but it's PCI-E.

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card, $85.
Better DAC chip and more powerful headphone amplifier, then the Xonar DG/DGX

Get a used Essence STX off eBay, $125?

May 24, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #10 of 20
  I don't have any free pci-e slots... just normal PCI...

What is the make and model of your motherboard and what cards are currently installed?

If your willing to spend the cash, get an Asus DS (PCI) sound card, used $40, the DS uses DTS audio, not Dolby Audio.
and a Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, $99.

Maybe find a good deal on a used Asus Xonar Essence ST (PCI) sound card, $130?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUSTeK-COMPUTER-PCI-XONAR-ESSENCE-ST-Sound-Card-/121331203289?pt=US_Sound_Cards_Internal_&hash=item1c3fe73cd9

If you wanted external, Asus Xonar U3 ($30-$40)
or Sound Blaster Surround Omni 5.1, $80.

May 24, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #11 of 20
Well, I *COULD* get a pci-e card, if I also bought a normal pci wireless nic that works with windows 7, rather than use the pci-e wireless nic I have now...

And I already have a headphone amplifier.  Also, putting the sound card back in my windows xp machine with the drivers installed previously causes it to work.

>.>

ARGH.

Anyway, my motherboard is an ASRock FM2A75 Pro4, and I have an AMD Radeon R7 250 graphics card, with a PCI-E networking card, and two free pci slots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back