Next step-up from SR80s?
Sep 30, 2007 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

lim(x->0)

Head-Fier
I love how snappy these phones are, I can differentiate between each diffrent drum hit and guitar; something Ive never been able to do before. The bass is good but sometimes the highs are wearing.

What would be the next realistic step up for me? I listen to indie/alt rock. I have a av710 but imagine I would need to look into an amp or DAC? Thoughts please.

Sep 30, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR225. A huge improvement from SR80.

I don't see SR80 on your had list lololololololol (what's up Juan, I know I'm spelling it wrong
tongue.gif
).

Oct 1, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kanamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see SR80 on your had list lololololololol (what's up Juan, I know I'm spelling it wrong
tongue.gif
).

Maybe because it's on his "have" list.
cool.gif

Oct 1, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #7 of 14
To answer your question completely, and in regard to the suggestion for a 225:
From what I hear the 225 sounds a little different. Larger sound stage, probably a lot more refined and not as in your face, as well as less piercy (I take this as meaning darker?). Most people regard the 80s as an unrefined RS2 which many people consider THE headphone for rock.

A significant (and arguably the only?) step up while keeping with the sonic roots of the 80s. Of course you'll want nicer equipment too.

Oct 1, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by yale.reinstein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To answer your question completely, and in regard to the suggestion for a 225:
From what I hear the 225 sounds a little different. Larger sound stage, probably a lot more refined and not as in your face, as well as less piercy (I take this as meaning darker?). Most people regard the 80s as an unrefined RS2 which many people consider THE headphone for rock.

A significant (and arguably the only?) step up while keeping with the sonic roots of the 80s. Of course you'll want nicer equipment too.

The RS2's are a little (and by little I mean a lot) out of my price range. But maybe I will splurge for them if this habit continues in the future.

What would be a suitable amp sub $100 to power the cans: PA2V2, Go-vibe 5....?

These are only for at home listening.

Oct 1, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubber_Soul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe because it's on his "have" list.
cool.gif

nope

Oct 1, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR225. A huge improvement from SR80.

I didn't hear much of a difference between 80's & 225's. But there was a big difference listening to the SR325's, deeper & quicker bass, better soundstage & sound placement.

Oct 1, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lim(x->0) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RS2's are a little (and by little I mean a lot) out of my price range. But maybe I will splurge for them if this habit continues in the future.

What would be a suitable amp sub $100 to power the cans: PA2V2, Go-vibe 5....?

These are only for at home listening.

For abit more ($150 USD) you could get a Little Dot II++

Oct 1, 2007 at 10:19 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't hear much of a difference between 80's & 225's. But there was a big difference listening to the SR325's, deeper & quicker bass, better soundstage & sound placement.

agreed. my first pair of grados were the sr80s...then i went straight to the 325. whoah, huge improvement. went to the rs-1 from there.

alas, it's back to the sr60 and hf-1 now...but they're very good approximations of the best parts of the grado line.

i would go to the sr325 if you can...but if you're not careful a woody grado may be in your future!

Oct 1, 2007 at 10:33 AM Post #13 of 14
The MS2i is another set of phones similar to the aluminum SR-325i that you may also wish to consider. Much of the same detail presentation, but a bit more neutral in nature.

Oct 1, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #14 of 14
SR80 and SR225 are very close in sound sig, so if you want some upgrade SR325i at least.

About the amp. I wouldn't worried much, cos all SR series sounding pretty good directly out of MP3 player. However I do not know what your source is, but from my iAudio XL5 I do not really need an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back