Next step up from Creative Aurvana Live!
Sep 2, 2016 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Kerry56

500+ Head-Fier
I'm a big fan of the CAL! (1st version), but I can't deny the fact that I'm slowly but surely killing my set with continual use.  I've had to re-solder the wires on both sides, and I'm now using aftermarket velour pads, which are ok, but aren't quite as comfortable as the original pads (the foam in the new pads is pretty firm by comparison).  Since they are relatively inexpensive, I could just get another pair while the CAL are still available, but I like to try new sets from time to time also.  The Philips SHP9500 was the latest new one and I knew it would be a sidestep at best, but I was curious.  They are now sold, not making the grade.

Considering a used set of NAD VISO HP50's if I can find them for a reasonable price.  $180 is about the absolute limit of my headphone "play" money.  Too bad the AH-D2000 Denon is long gone and so expensive used, I would think they'd be a logical next step up from the CAL. 

Anything else that comes to mind immediately as a relatively inexpensive set that is clearly on the next level up from the CAL?  Not looking for anything that absolutely has to have an amp, even though I'm now using my Fiio E10 most of the time.

Sep 2, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 3
In my opinion, with your budget, you're not going to find anything that's a better value in terms of sound quality for the money than a used NAD Viso HP50, assuming you're okay with the way they make you look.

Sep 3, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the confirmation of the HP50 set.  As for looks, these will only be used at home.  Besides, I go out in public wearing my Koss Porta Pro's, so I can  probably weather the ridicule.

Even used, it might be difficult to find the HP50 in my price range, so I'm still researching other possibilities.  Other suggestions welcome. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back