chuck8403

Head-Fier
Currently I have a few headphones:
HD598
HD439
ATH-M50
QC-15
Parrot Zik

I used to have a pair Beats Studios, but I gave them away. I liked the sound, but they were uncomfortable.

And the following amps/DAC:
FIIO E17
FIIO E11
FIIO E09K

I like the sound of the HD598 but not sure if the HD600, HD650 or HD700 will make a huge difference. I am also thinking about the HE-500 or DT990. For an amp, maybe the Valhalla. I am mostly considering the Sennheisers because they seem to be the most comfortable.

My budget could afford any of these. I may even get two headphones for the different types of music I listen to. I listen to music on my computer with a Titanium HD sound card or through an iPod.

Most of the music I listen to is classic rock with a touch of R&B, Rap and country.

Are there any others I should consider?

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 19
It depends on what sort of sound you prefer, but SR225i for guitar-based rock. Maybe also HE400, which is more of an all rounder.

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 19
I've read a bunch of good things about Grados, but not sure if I would like the on ear feel. I have grown to like the feel of over the ear headphones. I have though about the HE400s. What would be the difference between the HE500s and HE400s, other than price?

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 19
  I've read a bunch of good things about Grados, but not sure if I would like the on ear feel. I have grown to like the feel of over the ear headphones. I have though about the HE400s. What would be the difference between the HE500s and HE400s, other than price?

There are a lot of differences. They don't sound all that much alike to me. I suppose what I noticed most is that HE500 is darker and slower but also smoother. I preferred HE400 for its speed. They're both heavy and uncomfortable compared to most dynamic models.

There are many ways to made Grados comfortable. The most important is to buy a better headband somewhere and bend the metal inside the headband to the shape of your head with the right amount of clamping. If you want to try the Grado house sound, consider 60i + L-cushions. That's $100 and if you dislike it, you can recoup most of the cost.

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 19

There are a lot of differences. They don't sound all that much alike to me. I suppose what I noticed most is that HE500 is darker and slower but also smoother. I preferred HE400 for its speed. They're both heavy and uncomfortable compared to most dynamic models.

There are many ways to made Grados comfortable. The most important is to buy a better headband somewhere and bend the metal inside the headband to the shape of your head with the right amount of clamping. If you want to try the Grado house sound, consider 60i + L-cushions. That's $100 and if you dislike it, you can recoup most of the cost.

HE400 for speed? I guess I need an example to understand. I wonder how they compare to the HD598s or the ATH-M50s. That currently is my reference. Also, do both the HE500 and HE400 require amping?

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 19
  HE400 for speed? I guess I need an example to understand. I wonder how they compare to the HD598s or the ATH-M50s. That currently is my reference. Also, do both the HE500 and HE400 require amping?

They don't sound like either of them because they're planars. By speed, I meant that same music sounded faster and more exciting to me on HE400 than HE500. Yes, they require amping. Planars love juice.

Feb 24, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 19
HD600s will make all the Genres you listed sound good.  The E09k you have will do a decent job driving them plus they share a similar sound signature to the 598s; slightly warm but still a bit of detail and great for vocals imo.  If you want a headphone that isn't at all neutral and bass heavy the HD650s would be a good choice.  If you want something really bass heavy D2000s might be an option if you want real bass cannons (you said you liked the beats, these are a million times better)

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #8 of 19

They don't sound like either of them because they're planars. By speed, I meant that same music sounded faster and more exciting to me on HE400 than HE500. Yes, they require amping. Planars love juice.

Thanks for the explanation. 
  HD600s will make all the Genres you listed sound good.  The E09k you have will do a decent job driving them plus they share a similar sound signature to the 598s; slightly warm but still a bit of detail and great for vocals imo.  If you want a headphone that isn't at all neutral and bass heavy the HD650s would be a good choice.  If you want something really bass heavy D2000s might be an option if you want real bass cannons (you said you liked the beats, these are a million times better)

Interesting. I like the bass for certain music. I think he HD650s might be better for me over the HD600s if the sound is similar to the HD598s. Seems like the D2000s may be tough to get.

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #9 of 19
The HD600s have a similar sound signature to the 598s but they do everything better I've only had ~15 minutes with the 598s but the 600s are much higher fidelity imo.  D2000s are discontinued but can still be had used:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=D2000&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xdenon+D2000&_nkw=denon+D2000&_sacat=0

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000MVEC0Q/ref=dp_olp_used_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=used

D2000s would be a nice different sounding can in your collection, especially if you want something for dubstep/bass heavy music the other options don't really compare.  I'd much rather have that than 600s/650s, if you find you don't like them you can probably re sell them for pretty damn close to what you got them for (if not the same) since they're discontinued their price doesn't change very much.

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #10 of 19
The HD600s have a similar sound signature to the 598s but they do everything better I've only had ~15 minutes with the 598s but the 600s are much higher fidelity imo.  D2000s are discontinued but can still be had used: [links]

D2000s would be a nice different sounding can in your collection, especially if you want something for dubstep/bass heavy music the other options don't really compare.  I'd much rather have that than 600s/650s, if you find you don't like them you can probably re sell them for pretty damn close to what you got them for (if not the same) since they're discontinued their price doesn't change very much.

I don't hear the Sennheisers doing much for those genres. I'm very much taken with HD600 and could easily end up with one, but for classical not for rock.

D2000 is very comfortable, and the bass roars. But I found the treble to be screechy. Other things to consider are problems with durability and it isolates badly. Still, if you want it, look on FS here first as we tend to take better care of our possessions.

Feb 25, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #11 of 19
Here is my 5 cents. Sennheizer HD600 (which I have now) I find to be somewhat boring with rock, ok for jazz and classical (this is certainly a personal opinion, such things are rather subjective).
And I don't remember much of a difference when I heard friend's HD650. I find that Grado cans are better for rock music, but cheaper Grados are not for detail lovers.
May be with other amps (mine are XCanV3 and DAC1) HD600 gets more exiting for rock, but for now I am looking towards planars. The new HE400i might be worth checking out (I still have to hear them).
And as for the low priced and more portable phones, Koss KCS75 are dirt cheap and really great for rock, as long as you don't overdrive them hard.
Very hard to beat them on the go without spending big on armature models (which I also find less comfortable to wear).

Feb 25, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #12 of 19
Here is my 5 cents. Sennheizer HD600 (which I have now) I find to be somewhat boring with rock, ok for jazz and classical (this is certainly a personal opinion, such things are rather subjective). And I don't remember much of a difference when I heard friend's HD650.
I find that Grado cans are better for rock music, but cheaper Grados are not for detail lovers.
May be with other amps (mine are XCanV3 and DAC1) HD600 gets more exiting for rock, but for now I am looking towards planars. The new HE400i might be worth checking out (I still have to hear them).
And as for the low priced and more portable phones, Koss KCS75 are dirt cheap and really great for rock, as long as you don't overdrive them hard. Very hard to beat them on the go without spending big on armature models (which I also find less comfortable to wear).

I really agree with almost all of that. Pretty much everything except about the resolution on cheap Grados. Even that's partly true: it simply depends which ones. Specifically, 80i stands out as heading towards being comparable to 225i. This is more evident if you amp it. You can amp Koss clip ons too, you know.

My sense of how amping improves detail is that it does so indirectly by adding richness and improved soundstage, allowing the details to show themselves against a better backdrop. But this is highly speculative.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #14 of 19
Here is my 5 cents. Sennheizer HD600 (which I have now) I find to be somewhat boring with rock, ok for jazz and classical (this is certainly a personal opinion, such things are rather subjective).
And I don't remember much of a difference when I heard friend's HD650. I find that Grado cans are better for rock music, but cheaper Grados are not for detail lovers.
And as for the low priced and more portable phones, Koss KCS75 are dirt cheap and really great for rock, as long as you don't overdrive them hard.
Very hard to beat them on the go without spending big on armature models (which I also find less comfortable to wear).

I am leaning toward the HD650s. But depending on how big my bonus will be, I may get two headphones. I guess at this point, I need to decide on two different headphones to complement each other on different types of music.

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #15 of 19
I really agree with almost all of that. Pretty much everything except about the resolution on cheap Grados. Even that's partly true: it simply depends which ones. Specifically, 80i stands out as heading towards being comparable to 225i. This is more evident if you amp it. You can amp Koss clip ons too, you know.

My sense of how amping improves detail is that it does so indirectly by adding richness and improved soundstage, allowing the details to show themselves against a better backdrop. But this is highly speculative.

I see in your profile you own an O2. What do you think of it? Did you put it together yourself, or did you buy it built?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back