Next step in the Grado line-up?
Jun 30, 2006 at 9:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Head Creep

Headphoneus Supremus
I've always loved the sound of the SR-60, but after living with Beyer DT770's for awhile, I can't help but want some extension in the lower frequencies. So, my question is simple: if I'm looking to keep the overall sound signature of the SR-60, but with bass extension that's at least somewhere around that of the DT770, what should I look at buying? SR-225 seems like the safe choice, but I'm leaning towards taking a shot on the 325i and seeing whether they're as bright as some people say they are.

By the way, I'm willing to spend up to $300, which rules the RS-1/2, MS-Pro and HF-1. And this will be paired up with a HeadFive, so if anyone has any insight into the potential synergy, please do tell.

Jun 30, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 8
MS-2(i) used would be within your budget
biggrin.gif
But, if you are looking for a more bright sound, maybe stick in the 225 or 325i area.

I loved my MS-2s, they don't have as much bass as the 770s (the hf-1 comes the closest in the cans that I own to the sheer amount of bass), they do extend down and carry an impact. So if you are looking at a more balanced sound vs the SR-60s, I would try the MS-2 if $300 is your range of spending.

Look on the forms, I just sold a original MS-2 for $200 and have seen MS-2i go for $225-250 before.

Jun 30, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #3 of 8
i don't live in a perfect world and there are some things that no matter how hard your try, we can't have.

if lower frequencies are your thing, then non of the Grado range would be on my list, i'm sorry to say. when i want clarity and detail then i use my Grados headphones.

but if it's deep rich bass that you want, then the beyer's have it.

Bass depth of the beyer's or clarity of the grado's, at £300 you'll be hard pressed to get both. sorry, it's either one or the other.

not only that, although the grado's 325's are a stonking pair of headphones, i refuse to pay £300 for that amount of discomfort.

Jun 30, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 8
Im the lucky guy that snagged those MS2s. I had the SR60s for close to three years prior to Head-Fi. Give me a few days and I can PM you some impressions. Let me know.

Jul 1, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by AA8
MS-2(i) used would be within your budget
biggrin.gif

Brand new, they just fit my budget. I wouldn't have to hunt through the FS forums.
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73
Bass depth of the beyer's or clarity of the grado's, at £300 you'll be hard pressed to get both. sorry, it's either one or the other.

I realize that I can't get both. I want the overall sound signature of the SR-60, first and foremost. I would just like to improve the bass extension. Perhaps the DT770 reference was an unnecessary complication to my original post.
Quote:

Originally Posted by daashford0404
Im the lucky guy that snagged those MS2s. I had the SR60s for close to three years prior to Head-Fi. Give me a few days and I can PM you some impressions. Let me know.

That would be great. That's exactly the kind of opinion I was hoping for. Thanks.

Jul 1, 2006 at 11:16 AM Post #6 of 8
Beyer 990/05e. Grado doesn't do extended bass except possibly the PS1.

Jul 6, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #8 of 8
Just in case anyone was wondering, the conclusion to this thread. I realized that I live very close by to a Grado dealer, so I stopped by today after depositing my last pay check (such timing). Long story short, I walked away with SR-325i's. According to my ears, they're the ideal mix of DT770's and SR-60's, and visually, they're just soaked in bling. As for comfort, like the salesman said, my hair is more than enough padding for the headband.

I know that "I've found my perfect rig" is usually a lie, so I'll say this instead: I can comfortably take a leave of absence from Head-Fi for at least 2 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back