Next step from HD580s
Aug 3, 2021 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bmwpowere36m3

100+ Head-Fier
I sold off my HD580s (HD600 grills and HD650 cables) as I hadn't been using them too much the past few years (other priorities and hobbies)... plus they had some issues (cracked headband and intermittent connection).

Now, I'm interested in getting back into it... so the question is any recommendations for the next step from the HD580s, which as my first real headphones sounded great. Predominately like genres of rock and metal, but listen most others expect for classical, jazz, country, rap.

Current gear, all DIY, includes:

• AMB Labs Gamma1 DAC
  • AMB Labs Mini3 amp
  • "SS" Millet hybrid tube amp
  • Cavalli SOHA II hybrid tube amp

I've been indecisive on the HD6__ range, hard to beat price of 6xx. At the same time, I'd like to try something new and the Sundara seems appealing. Maybe I'll end up with two new headphones... Price <$500

Thoughts?

Aug 4, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 10
Takstar HF 580 planar headphones, with Sendyaudio AVIA ear pads, about $250 for the setup.
Should be way different sound, then the 300-Ohm Sennheiser HD580.

Aug 4, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #3 of 10
Depending on your region, some good value options in addition to the 6XX and Sundara (which would decently complement each other), are the Audio Technica ATH-R70X
and the AKG K612 Pro, but both would be walking back the timbral accuracy you'd love out of the Sennheisers.

You've also got the option of ordering the Sennheiser HD8XX, albeit at a much steeper price point.

Depending on how you tuned your HD 580, the 600 and the 650/6XX are straight upgrades, but the 6XX is the value point, and scales better. You'll also typically get more out of a tube setup with it.

Aug 4, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 10
Takstar HF 580 planar headphones, with Sendyaudio AVIA ear pads, about $250 for the setup.
Should be way different sound, then the 300-Ohm Sennheiser HD580.

Interesting, never heard of them... Chi-Fi? Sources for them, besides possible Ali?

Aug 4, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 10
Depending on your region, some good value options in addition to the 6XX and Sundara (which would decently complement each other), are the Audio Technica ATH-R70X
and the AKG K612 Pro, but both would be walking back the timbral accuracy you'd love out of the Sennheisers.

You've also got the option of ordering the Sennheiser HD8XX, albeit at a much steeper price point.

Depending on how you tuned your HD 580, the 600 and the 650/6XX are straight upgrades, but the 6XX is the value point, and scales better. You'll also typically get more out of a tube setup with it.

US

Never did any tuning, EQ if that's what your referring to.

Aug 5, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #7 of 10
If you're not sensitive to treble I'd recommend DT 1990. I love them for rock/ metal, although if the recording is terrible it can sound harsh. They are "neutral" in that sense. 6xx and Sundara are other good options.

Aug 5, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #8 of 10
More along the lines of which baffle version you had, or which one you might have modded it to. From what I understand, there were all sorts of mods back in the day.

IIRC, I bought the 580s used and they already had the black metal grills like (center vs. right)

blog_Senn-650-600-580-300x182.jpg

I don't know the difference in sound, since I never had the original plastic "z" grills. Now the baffle or structure holding the driver, I don't remember...

Aug 5, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back