Next step from HD555?
Sep 19, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #17 of 33
I disagree that the HD595's and HD555's almost sound identical. The 555's aren't a bad 'phone by any means, and will excel in many systems. However, when the front-end and amplifier does the 595's justice they excel in a way that the 555's never could. The 555's have a huge stage that borders on the vague, and fine detail, across the range, is simply not there.

The 595's would also be the wrong choice for the Project amp too - the Project doesn't have the most drive in the world, and is lean in the lower registers. It's not overly detailed either, which rather compresses stage width.

I would go with HD600 or HD650 - they have a balance that will be less affected by the Project. They will also take all the future source and amp upgrades you want to throw at them in the future.

Sep 19, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #19 of 33
What u guys are saying is that Do Not Compromise..

only get the best.

am i right?

Sep 19, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, lets just say on a scale of 10 for similarity to the 595s i would rate the 555s a 9 and the hd600s a 6

I wouldn't agree with the 9, well certainly not without the proviso that is signal quality. However, I would absolutely agree the underlining premise: that tonally the 555 are inherently of the 595 lineage. In contrast to the 600's, that are clearly of the 650 lineage, and; tonally, a quite different sonic prospect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What u guys are saying is that Do Not Compromise..

only get the best.

am i right?

Absolutely. But, then, the road from compromise to satisfaction is a long and never-ending one. And one best travelled with an open mind and an open wallet
dt880smile.png

Sep 19, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #21 of 33
Thank you everyone that replied. I never expected this many comments in a day
biggrin.gif

So it seems HD650 is the way to go? (Thanks, now my wallet is seriously crying)

I've heard many different opinions about them, but never listened to them myself. Some say they are too detailed or flat, making the listen boring, but most give them a great score and say they are the best phones they've heard.

I wonder if my amp would make the price worth it. I guess I'll take a trip to the store where I bought my amp, they should have HD650 too. Maybe I could listen to the HD650s through my own amp at the store.

Again, thank you very much for all the replies, they were very helpful. I think the HD650 will be my next purchase of cans (whenever that'll turn out to be).

Sep 19, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #22 of 33
A bit of help on the 650 purchase....go to MS Live Search and sign up. They have a cashback program, and for JR it is 6%.

About 15 minutes ago, I ordered a pair of 650s from JR.

$329.99 shipped
$50 rebate from Sennheiser
$19.70 cashback from MS Live (already got my e-mail from them)

total $260

(oh, noticed you are in Sweden.....sorry, not sure that will work for you then. Maybe this will help others though)

Sep 19, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #23 of 33
I'd still go with the HD600 as they have a very "in your face" sound to them. They even have a lot more bass than the HD555's. I got my HD600's a while back on ebay for less than $200 brand new.

Sep 19, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #24 of 33
Out of curiosity, how do you think the DT880/990 would compare to the HD650? With my amp and music?

Sep 20, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A bit of help on the 650 purchase....go to MS Live Search and sign up. They have a cashback program, and for JR it is 6%.

About 15 minutes ago, I ordered a pair of 650s from JR.

$329.99 shipped
$50 rebate from Sennheiser
$19.70 cashback from MS Live (already got my e-mail from them)

total $260

(oh, noticed you are in Sweden.....sorry, not sure that will work for you then. Maybe this will help others though)

Sparky, do u suppose u can do this again and then ship it overseas?
beerchug.gif

Sep 20, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by syndrome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of curiosity, how do you think the DT880/990 would compare to the HD650? With my amp and music?

I feel that the DT880 sounds better than the HD650. It has a more neutral sound to it which is good. It also seems to have a bit more bass and clarity to it than the HD650. The HD650 is still a great pair of cans and a good choice.

I haven't heard the DT990 yet so my opinion for that set of cans is still reserved.

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by callmevil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sparky, do u suppose u can do this again and then ship it overseas?
beerchug.gif

I'm afraid not....one rebate per household.

Sep 20, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by syndrome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the deal is, I own a pair of Grado SR60 and a pair of Sennheiser HD555.

For my metal needs, the SR60's does their job in a great way. I love them. I enjoy my HD555 for my other music (rock, electronica, jazz, everything else), paired with a Pro-Ject Headbox MkII. The phones have their share of awesomeness, but I'm not quite there yet.

What would be the next step for my non-metal needs? I'm not looking into getting a new amp, so phones like HD650 are not an option at this point. I'm also not looking for a higher end pair of Grado right nwo
wink.gif

I was thinking HD595, logically, but would they make a notable difference? Is there any difference in comfort btw?

I'm talking ~$200-$250 price class here.

I'd appreciate any input
dt880smile.png

A worthy upgrade from the HD555 (or any cans) is in the ears of the beholder. Different people like different kinds of music with different headphones, for different reasons, and with different associated equipment. You would get better input if you described more about what you like, don't like, and want from your new headphones. Like more bass, tighter bass, deeper bass, bigger sound stage, a warmer sound, etc. It's too generic to just say you want an upgrade.

In your initial post you deduced the HD650 was not an option because of amplification, and then in a later post you're considering the HD650 yet without additional amplification. Some, after trying it, would consider the HD650 a worthy upgrade from the HD555 for the music you listen to and with your associated equipment. Others would not. Based on my experience with the HD650 and from what I've read and on my preference for listening to rock, jazz, and electronica, I would not consider the HD650 unless I also was ready to spend several hundreds of dollars more in upgrades.

The HD595 will make a notable difference, and is very comfortable but heavier so it will be more noticeable than the HD555. I enjoyed the HD555 for rock, but later enjoyed the HD580 and PX100 much more so with rock. I enjoyed my HD595 especially with jazz. And I enjoyed my Ultrasone PL650, HD280, HD580, and PX100 very much with electronica, but each for different reasons.

If you think your amplification is adequate (I don't know your equipment), then I suggest going with the HD600. If your amp is not up to the task or you're wanting to venture away from the Sennheiser house sound, based on what I've read in the $200 to $250 range, I suggest going with the Denon D2000 and then mod it. For me the PX100 with HD414 pads have proven to be an excellent upgrade to the HD555 for rock, jazz, and electronica, but unfortunately it's out of your price range.

Sep 20, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A worthy upgrade from the HD555 (or any cans) is in the ears of the beholder. Different people like different kinds of music with different headphones, for different reasons, and with different associated equipment. You would get better input if you described more about what you like, don't like, and want from your new headphones. Like more bass, tighter bass, deeper bass, bigger sound stage, a warmer sound, etc. It's too generic to just say you want an upgrade.

In your initial post you deduced the HD650 was not an option because of amplification, and then in a later post you're considering the HD650 yet without additional amplification. Some, after trying it, would consider the HD650 a worthy upgrade from the HD555 for the music you listen to and with your associated equipment. Others would not. Based on my experience with the HD650 and from what I've read and on my preference for listening to rock, jazz, and electronica, I would not consider the HD650 unless I also was ready to spend several hundreds of dollars more in upgrades.

The HD595 will make a notable difference, and is very comfortable but heavier so it will be more noticeable than the HD555. I enjoyed the HD555 for rock, but later enjoyed the HD580 and PX100 much more so with rock. I enjoyed my HD595 especially with jazz. And I enjoyed my Ultrasone PL650, HD280, HD580, and PX100 very much with electronica, but each for different reasons.

If you think your amplification is adequate (I don't know your equipment), then I suggest going with the HD600. If your amp is not up to the task or you're wanting to venture away from the Sennheiser house sound, based on what I've read in the $200 to $250 range, I suggest going with the Denon D2000 and then mod it. For me the PX100 with HD414 pads have proven to be an excellent upgrade to the HD555 for rock, jazz, and electronica, but unfortunately it's out of your price range.

thats strange..many said that HD555 is great for Rock..whereas u say PX100 is also better.

How much is your Burn-in time on HD555?

Sep 20, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #30 of 33
i prefer the hd650's to the hd600's .. just because of the bigger number. But seriously, it's all about personal preference.. im pretty sure if you like the sennheiser signiture sound, you won't be disappointed with your upgrade. To me, hd650's are warmer and bassy. But i like it. =D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back