Next step from HD 598, need headphone for ballads ,intrumental for relaxing
Sep 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

phuctan139

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

yeah need more advice too, currently I have 598 for 1 month and very happy with my gear iphone 4s+ fiio E12 + 598 but I want a next step from here and try some difference headphones.What I care is about the detail of the sound , it make me more relaxing when I hear some ballads and instrumental , so if I want another headphones so what is your advice or I will keep 598 and upgrade AMP ? I am very lazy so I just listen for 198kbs music from my app in Iphone 4s ( but with fiio e12 +598 It feel very good for the detail of the sound)

Thanks

Sep 30, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 12
  Hi guys,

yeah need more advice too, currently I have 598 for 1 month and very happy with my gear iphone 4s+ fiio E12 + 598 but I want a next step from here and try some difference headphones.What I care is about the detail of the sound , it make me more relaxing when I hear some ballads and instrumental , so if I want another headphones so what is your advice or I will keep 598 and upgrade AMP ? I am very lazy so I just listen for 198kbs music from my app in Iphone 4s ( but with fiio e12 +598 It feel very good for the detail of the sound)

Thanks

honestly if you want a more detailed sound, get your self a Sansa Clip+ and listen to some LossLess quality songs. Or even 320k mp3 would make a big differance, what you need is better music not better headphones, and with higher end headphones Low bit rate mp3's are going to sound HORRIFIC, and that's because they have a good bit of the treble removed due to compression. So in my honest opion, try listening to 320k mp3s first of get a player that support's lossless and go that way.

if ur impressed with the detail of what you hvae now, I PROMISE you. that 320k mp3s will sound better and really knock ur socks off 

Sep 30, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 12
Yeah need more advice too, currently I have 598 for 1 month and very happy with my gear iphone 4s+ fiio E12 + 598 but I want a next step from here and try some difference headphones.What I care is about the detail of the sound , it make me more relaxing when I hear some ballads and instrumental , so if I want another headphones so what is your advice or I will keep 598 and upgrade AMP ? I am very lazy so I just listen for 198kbs music from my app in Iphone 4s ( but with fiio e12 +598 It feel very good for the detail of the sound)

Get the Fiio X3 to play audio files from (load it up with FLAC or ALAC), may or may not need to use the Fiio E12.

Sep 30, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 12
  Get the Fiio X3 to play audio files from (load it up with FLAC or ALAC), may or may not need to use the Fiio E12.

Athat's not even nessicary honestly  good point as well, but first do try some 320k mp3s on ur iPhone, oh also you should be sourceing your iPhone with a Line Out Dock Cable, Fiio Sells them for about $10 or so

so try getting a LOD and some 320k lossy files, and if you feel like you'd like to get something even better, the X3 is one of many Digital Audio Players to pair with your amp! 

Sep 30, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #5 of 12
Thanks all guy for advice , I also have clip zip with the lossless but with the 3.5 to 3.5 mm with my fiio e12 I do not feel it sound better than 128kbs in my iphone 4s with LOD ( maybe my ear have problem haha ) but it's good I will try some lossless in my iphone and my zip again ( just I am so lazy to dowload and put it in my source )

Sep 30, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #6 of 12

Athat's not even nessicary honestly  good point as well, but first do try some 320k mp3s on ur iPhone, oh also you should be sourceing your iPhone with a Line Out Dock Cable, Fiio Sells them for about $10 or so

so try getting a LOD and some 320k lossy files, and if you feel like you'd like to get something even better, the X3 is one of many Digital Audio Players to pair with your amp! 

My hope was he gets the Fiio X3 and find the 50-Ohm HD598 works just fine plugged straight into the X3
and just sells off his E12.
One of the Cowons might also do the job.

Sep 30, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #7 of 12
  My hope was he gets the Fiio X3 and find the 50-Ohm HD598 works just fine plugged straight into the X3
and just sells off his E12.
One of the Cowons might also do the job.

yea a cowon is perfect for lossy junkies xD

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #8 of 12

honestly if you want a more detailed sound, get your self a Sansa Clip+ and listen to some LossLess quality songs. Or even 320k mp3 would make a big differance, what you need is better music not better headphones, and with higher end headphones Low bit rate mp3's are going to sound HORRIFIC, and that's because they have a good bit of the treble removed due to compression. So in my honest opion, try listening to 320k mp3s first of get a player that support's lossless and go that way.

if ur impressed with the detail of what you hvae now, I PROMISE you. that 320k mp3s will sound better and really knock ur socks off 

That's THE advice. I think most people who stayed long enough in this forum build their loseless desktop library (or 320 on their mobile device), and that is the cheapest and absolutely must do, BEFORE upgrading your gear :p

HD598 is a decent phone with good details and really I would suggest settle with it for a while. Its almost an all rounder so it should keep you happy for a while.

If you want details, try turn off any bass boost feature. Don't crank up the volume too high though.

Sorry for your wallet, and welcome to head-fi

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #9 of 12

That's THE advice. I think most people who stayed long enough in this forum build their loseless desktop library (or 320 on their mobile device), and that is the cheapest and absolutely must do, BEFORE upgrading your gear :p

HD598 is a decent phone with good details and really I would suggest settle with it for a while. Its almost an all rounder so it should keep you happy for a while.

If you want details, try turn off any bass boost feature. Don't crank up the volume too high though.

Sorry for your wallet, and welcome to head-fi

Thanks and yea welcome to head fi!

But I REALLY love Hifiman DAPS one for thier sound and two, they take full size SD Cards, so I can usually keep 2-3 32gb cards on me. Allowing me to have rally limitless storage. Cell phones use the smaller [easier to lose] Mirco SDs

there is also internet radio! I listen to DeepVibes Radio on the go when I need to listen to Multi MEdia [on a pc] and want music behind that. 

While we are on the subject, any one know some good 320k or higher streaming radio services? Again DeepVibes Radio is EDM only but no commericials and it's free. You could also see if ur phone can use a full size USB card reader or some kind

Still upgrading the quality of your music would be the first and most satisfying step! [and the cheapest] 

Oct 7, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #10 of 12
You should most definitely upgrade your music library to 320k or lossless format. I'm also rocking the 598's with Nuforce Icon uDAC 2 and they sound absolutely amazing. The difference between 198kbs and 320kbs (or FLAC for that matter) is like between night and day. Upgrading your equipment will only make it sound worse if you don't upgrade your source first.
Cheers and happy listenings!  
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #11 of 12
Perhaps get the fiio x3 and also use it as a DAC/amp for your computer if that is desired. Else, if you'll use it portably, I'd suggest getting something like the sennheiser momentum. Very relaxing, yet detailed. They kind of distance you a bit from the music, which can be good for relaxing.

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #12 of 12
  You should most definitely upgrade your music library to 320k or lossless format. I'm also rocking the 598's with Nuforce Icon uDAC 2 and they sound absolutely amazing. The difference between 198kbs and 320kbs (or FLAC for that matter) is like between night and day. Upgrading your equipment will only make it sound worse if you don't upgrade your source first.
Cheers and happy listenings!  
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd say you should take above with a grain of salt. Most head-fiers have a hard time identifying 128 kbps from lossless reliably in ABX tests. 320 kbit ogg/aac (not mp3) or the like, and you are good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back