Next step: DAC or Amp?
Feb 14, 2009 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ajames

Head-Fier
I'm debating on whether to add a DAC or another amp to my setup, and was looking for some suggestions.

I began with a CMoy in an altoids tin, which was later transplanted into an empty cigar box which is stationary on my desk. My source as of now is either a LOD from a 5th gen ipod, or the audio out from my desktop's on board chipset (ALC889). I own Senn HD201's, AKG k81dj's and am awaiting delivery of a set of sr80's
biggrin.gif
With those on the way, and an itch to complete another diy project, i'm looking at either:

1. An Alien DAC
2. a Starving Student Millet Hybrid

Coming through the sr80's, which is more likely to be a better choice, if i can only make one at the moment? Will the DAC be a big enough improvement over onboard audio to notice? or will the SS pair well with the grado's and give me a more worthwile diy?

Feb 14, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #2 of 8
State your budget.

The tight spot in the direction there is that an Alien DAC, as much of an improvement it's likely to be over onboard audio, won't be a huge improvement over your line out. Where as your amp is probably quiet a bottleneck right now. Also, putting together an alien DAC of sorts (ie, bantam) shouldn't cost too much down the line. I'd go for an amp for now, still use the ipod line out, then build a DAC. Depending on your budget though, you may be able to build both. Keep your eye out for starving student tubes before you start buying everything else if you go that way, cause you'd hate to get stuck with all the parts minus those tubes, which are hard to find...

Also, try keep your next project in mind when building something, cause an extra bit here or there from some places could save you extra shipping costs down the line.

Feb 14, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #3 of 8
Try a Bantam DAC, heavy on SMD though, and the Starving Student just because its awesome to have a tube amp around and its relatively cheap compared to the others.

Also, Beezer will be selling matched tubes with their PCB's. Its optional, but apparently they have the stock and have been saving up for a while so... go for it.

Feb 14, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 8
I'd go for the DAC, I have an ALC889 in my desktop. It truely is horrible and SR80s should be fairly easy to drive so a CMoy can't fail too badly with them.

Feb 15, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 8
My budget is ballpark $50, which should be easily do-able for either the DAC or Starving Student. I'm already set on enclosures and have access to various labs and a machine shop here at school, which helps keeps some cost down.

Are there many advantages for choosing a Bantam over the Alien DAC? I'm fairly handy, and i've done several diy audio projects before, but the option to have an Alien DAC board come with the SMD work already done is very attractive to me.

Feb 15, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #6 of 8
also ... is the Starving Student even a good choice when paired with the grados? Is there anything else better suited? From working my way through pages and pages on the forum, i've seen plenty of pimetas and PPAv2's ...

Feb 15, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #7 of 8
I haven't built my SSMH but I really both my MilletMAX and MiniMAX with my Grado's. You could try a Mini3 as an entrance into SMD (just two opamps) then try a y1, leaving you with a killer portable setup.

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #8 of 8
I have a Cmoy, a Mini^3, a SSMH, a SOHA II, a Gamma 1 DAC, an Alien DAC and SR80's.
To my ears, you will get the most improvement with the SSMH. I was a tube agnostic until I heard a SSMH, now i'm an addict.
The SSMH works very well with SR80's.
I would wait until the PCB and tube combo is available and do that next.
Either the Alien or Gamma 1 DAC would be a good project after that, depending on your budget and SMD soldering skills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back