Next set of cans between £400-650 - Opinions Please
Nov 1, 2009 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ThELiZ

Head-Fier
Good day to you all.

I bought some Grado SR225 Headphones about 18 months ago, and I really enjoy them, especially as they were my first venture into good headphones. I bought them primarily for my metal/rock tastes, and they are brilliant for that. I really like the sound signature, I love that midrange!

Anyway, for some reason I thought I'd have a browse around these forums again :facepalm:

Mistake! My poor wallet.

Anyway, I will be keeping my 225s and I'm now looking for something that is going to make me weep tears of happiness. I'm looking for that sexy, smooth, full bodied, crisp sound.

So far I have been mighty tempted by the Denon D7000, and these are top of my list so far. Also their older brother, D5000. I have heard that bass can be muddy with these though, and I don't like muddy bass. I like to be able to hear the different tones clearly.

I really don't personally think it's worth looking at the higher end Grado cans because I am keeping my 225s for metal and such, and I wanted to move away from that sound signature for something warmer and deeper, but still retaining quality highs, it must be crisp, but not harsh.

I will be listening to all sorts of music on these new cans, so Ideally I will be looking for a super all round headphone.

Is there anything else that anyone could recommend? Please bare in mind that i'm a UK buyer, so best bang for buck is a high selling point for me on certain cans. I know the D7000 are £650 here, that is quite high, maybe I could get something better for that price?

Hopefully someone can help.
L3000.gif

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 4
What amp do you currently have? D7000 will sound horrible unamped.

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 4
Beresford 7520 Headphone Amp + DAC

Hmm, I heard that they were actually quite efficient headphones.

Thanks for the input, I will check that out.

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 4
I guess they are low impedence but it require a lot of current. My AD1000PRM sounds horrible on an iPod, bad on the X-Fi card, pretty awesome on Essence ST and scary on Luxman... xD

But seeing the review on the source you may also find it better to upgrade to a better source and amp as well as headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back