Next Purchase Mad Dog vs Alpha Dog vs HE-400/400i also AV Receiver DAC vs Magni vs Modi vs Asgard 2.
Jan 15, 2014 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ninaphexed

New Head-Fier
So I have been doing a lot more research and learning a lot thanks to everyone on this forum!  What is the opinion on the headphones above all three are fantastic but I can only afford one so if you had to choose between the three which one would you choose?  Also can I use my Pioneer VSX-D411 AV receiver as my DAC and then purchase a Schiit Magni and connect that to the monitor out or ditch the receiver and use a Modi?  Would the Magni be enough to push these headphones or should I save and purchase an Asgard 2?  Yes I have read comparisons between the two.  

Again thank you for your input I do appreciate it!

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 5
Well, of those three I have only heard the Mad Dog. I think most people (including Dan @ Mr. Speakers) would say that the Alpha Dog is an upgrade to the Mad Dog. So, between those two, it's simply a cost issue - if you can afford the Alpha Dog, then IMHO it would win over the Mad Dog. OTOH, if the Alpha Dog is more than you want to spend, then cross it off the list.

Isn't the 400i brand new? I'm not sure anyone has heard them unless they went to CES last week?

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 5
Yes the 400i are brand new from CES. Can't wait to read some reviews of the 400i with the Schiit stack I think this is the direction I'm leaning if all is positive. It's just so difficult to make a decision on a lot of these products due to cost and the inability to audition. I hate guessing at what my ears will or won't like...

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 5
  So I have been doing a lot more research and learning a lot thanks to everyone on this forum!  What is the opinion on the headphones above all three are fantastic but I can only afford one so if you had to choose between the three which one would you choose?  Also can I use my Pioneer VSX-D411 AV receiver as my DAC and then purchase a Schiit Magni and connect that to the monitor out or ditch the receiver and use a Modi?  Would the Magni be enough to push these headphones or should I save and purchase an Asgard 2?  Yes I have read comparisons between the two.  

Again thank you for your input I do appreciate it!

Your Pioneer VSX-D411 might do a decent job of driving those headphones.
Get the headphones first and plug them into the Pioneer's headphone jack and see how they sound.

Feb 12, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 5
Just to update I went with the HE-400's at $300 they were a steal.  I think I will give the Schiit Asguard2 + Modi a go.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back