Next piece of gear
May 21, 2012 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BackwardPawn

100+ Head-Fier
As the title says, I'm trying to plan my next piece of headfi gear since my birthday is coming up.  I currently have a pair of DT880s paired with an old Onkyo amp.  I find the setup great for classical and acoustic music, but for rock sessions I end up listening using my Yamaha and B&W speakers.  I actually prefer the speakers, but find I'm more often at my computer when listening to music nowadays.  So my choice right now is this...either I get DT990s for a more rock-centric/fun headphone, or I complete my current setup by replacing my Onkyo with a tube amp, such as the Bottlehead.

I'm leaning toward the amp, as I hate to get another set of 'phones before I get the most out of the first, but thought I'd see whether anyone had a different opinion.  Plus I've read the DT990s w/ solid state aren't all that pleasing due to the treble, so I'm thinking that should come after the amp.

May 21, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #2 of 5
Laptop or desktop?

The Asus STX could be a possibility, you would need a DAC to make the best of the amp, and its one of the best bang for buck. 

May 21, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
Laptop or desktop?

The Asus STX could be a possibility, you would need a DAC to make the best of the amp, and its one of the best bang for buck. 

+1

you could also try grado headphones for rock.

May 21, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #4 of 5
Its a desktop setup.  I have the X-Fi Titanium HD...I thought about getting the Asus, but I spend a lot of time gaming so the Creative card seemed more well rounded.  The Grados might be a good idea, though.  I'll have to look into that.

May 21, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Its a desktop setup.  I have the X-Fi Titanium HD...I thought about getting the Asus, but I spend a lot of time gaming so the Creative card seemed more well rounded.  The Grados might be a good idea, though.  I'll have to look into that.

Should have mentioned that earlier, no point in getting the Asus if you have that. Its a good DAC already.

Grado's are not so good for gaming, not good soundstage. 

So it seems an amp is a possibility, and this is where I jump off the boat, since I don't own a standalone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back