Next Pair of sub $80 IEM's for a Wannabe Audiophile.
Dec 10, 2011 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

NotSoSerious

100+ Head-Fier
Let me just start by saying that I have done loads of searching around this enormous forum trying to look for a decent option that I might like. I really didn't want to have to make a thread,but it seems like its my only final option. I really want to start my path as an audiophile, but  I realized $12 dollar Mee M9's just are not that..

I really liked the soundstage and the depth of the bass of the M9's. But I just had this urge that I needed to upgrade. 
I really want a way where I can really start. 

These are few of the earphones that I might be interested in:
Etymotic Hf5- Coming from M9's I find it might be difficult for me to transition from a bassy IEM, to suddenly a detailed one.. Not sure if it will go well with my music tastes. Also very tempted by its isolation. A bit over budget, but I think its fine.
Brainwavz  M2- Very mid forward, while still being a somewhat bassy option. Concerned about its lack of sound stage, but everything else seems great. I think I will enjoy it's striking, unique mid-forward sound.. Isolation doesn't seem that great..
NuForce Ne-700M/X- I really like the new bronze finish NuForce made with the Ne-700.  I heard it has fairly decent soundstage, unlike the  M2, and is quite a bit bassy, unlike the Hf5. Isolation that is similar to the M2's: not that great.
Fischer Audio Eterna - I don't even know where you can buy these first of all, and I hate  over-ear designs.. However, it has great bass, sounstage, and even the isolation. It's just the over-ear design that I dislike...

I use a Sansa Fuze and I like to listen to:
-Rap/ Hip Hop
-House/Dubstep
- A tad bit of pop
- A little bit of alternative.

I really hope that I can be a hard core audiophile someday... I look up to you guys. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I highly appreciate ANY opinions or recommendations.
The more opinions, the merrier! Thanks so much!
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 10, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 12
I own both the Brainwavz M2 and Fischer Audio Eterna Rev.1.

I use the M2's at the gym and at school, this headphone is built like a tank. Toss it in my bag and not worry about it.

I do use my Fischer Audio Eterna at school as well, but definitely not using them at the gym. They are more fragile. 

Both of these headphones will work for your genre preference.

Personally, I love the sound of the Eterna Rev.1 and I can't live without them!

You are absolutely correct with your research: awesome bass, soundstage, and isolation is pretty damn good.

The Eterna's "don't try to make music right, just everything fun." Gobs of bass, with smooth mids and treble. M2's don't have as much bass, but they do have more mids and treble.

I wear glasses, so the cable wraps behind my glasses when I wear them over-the-ear. They do occasionally pop out, but not a huge problem for me. I also don't use their cable guides.

M2's can be found on Amazon for $52.50.

Bought my Eterna's from Frogbeats for around $90 with the fastest shipping.

Dec 10, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 12
The brainwavz m2 and the Fischer eterna both seem like the best options.. But because of the over ear design... The m2s seem to appeal to me more.. The durability seems interesting too.. Thank you for replying.. I really appreciate it.. Does anyone else know about the nu force ne700? I appreciate any replies or opinions...!!

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 12
if you consistently look on craigslist, you can probably buy for $80 or less a near-brand new iem that's retails at far more than $80.  i bought a brand new shure se310 for $70 a few months ago from someone i found on craigslist!

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 12
my only experience with iems have been with the shure se310's, which i've had for over 3 years now.  so the only recommendation that i can give you is that the shure se line is really good!  i absolutely love them.  at least with the 310's, the sound is absolutely clear and pristine.  the bass may not that strong, but it's tight and accurate.  i'd highly recommend getting a shure if at all possible!  seriously take your time to look around for a good deal.  i cannot recommend them enough.

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 12
okay, actually, another iem i did have before the shure se310 was the sennheiser cx 300 (the older model which i bought for like $50).  they sounded good at the time, but once i got the se310, seriously the se310 blew the cx 300 out of the water.  it was a completely different league.  

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 12
Uhm.. Yeah, the $200 dollar price mark is a bit higher then what I was thinking...
I really doubt I can get a $200 dollar IEM for $70 dollars like you did, unless they were fakes. 
Besides, I like to buy from the original vender. There is no warranty with buying it from craigslist, It doesn't really matter how durable they are.

Thanks though.

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #9 of 12
Hello NSS...

Quote:
I really want to start my path as an audiophile, but  I realized $12 dollar Mee M9's just are not that..

I love the M9s and not only is it a stepping stone but nice little buggers as well, as long as you listen to music with bass.  You can spend $1 or $10,000 and be an audiophile.  Being an audiophile has no monetary value.  You try to get the most out of your music no matter what.  Even if you upgrade, downgrade, sidegrade etc. you can be an audiophile....

That being said, are you looking to wear them straight down or over the ear?

Cheers!!!!

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Hello NSS...

I love the M9s and not only is it a stepping stone but nice little buggers as well, as long as you listen to music with bass.  You can spend $1 or $10,000 and be an audiophile.  Being an audiophile has no monetary value.  You try to get the most out of your music no matter what.  Even if you upgrade, downgrade, sidegrade etc. you can be an audiophile....

That being said, are you looking to wear them straight down or over the ear?

Cheers!!!!

Thank you for replying.
I suppose your right.. Very interesting...
rolleyes.gif

At this moment in time ( perhaps it will change in the future ) I am only looking for straight down IEM's just in case I want to share with my girl friend... Small things like that are important to me...

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #11 of 12
Cheers NSS....
beerchug.gif

You have the M9s and are looking for something better and you are here and have been researching.....Congratz, you're an audiophile.....

The ones I was going to recommend with your budget are worn over the ears, so no help from me sir, sorry......However, I have read good things on the ones you posted....Enjoy!!!

Don't ever forget- it's a journey not a destination...
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Cheers NSS....
beerchug.gif

You have the M9s and are looking for something better and you are here and have been researching.....Congratz, you're an audiophile.....

The ones I was going to recommend with your budget are worn over the ears, so no help from me sir, sorry......However, I have read good things on the ones you posted....Enjoy!!!

Don't ever forget- it's a journey not a destination...
biggrin.gif

Thank you, I'll remember that... ^.^
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back