"Next level" up from Blon BL-03?..
Jun 22, 2020 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

xMisterVx

New Head-Fier
See my old thread, from which I got the BLON BL-03 to try: Old thread

Like my old Sennheiser IE80, I use them with the LG V35 as a sound source (it does have a DAC).
I got my BL-03 and now can't find them anymore. Not sure if someone at work keeps stealing headphones... Anyway. Looking for options to upgrade or side-grade?..

I had them for about three months now and by impressions are as follows, compared to Sennheiser IE80:
- precise, - but too precise, almost mechanical? At some points it felt slightly artificial. Especially guitars.
- somewhat lacking in warmth, fullness and sub bass, especially with favorite tracks like Leonard Cohen's newer stuff.
- soundstage: smallish, but ok.
- that *$&##"(")! cable! I've never had a cable that was specifically designed to tangle as much as possible.

I'm not complaining or anything, for the price they were a great purchase. Just wondering if I have better options for, I dunno, 60 instead of 30$.

Otherwise in the other thread the Sony EX800 was recommended.

Jun 22, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 9
U can check out the KBEAR Diamond.
About $70, maybe cheaper during sales.

It is an upgrade over the BLON BL-03 in all departments (technicalities, timbre, tonality, fit, isolation). Except maybe it loses to the BL-03 in soundstage width, but it beats the BL-03 in soundstage depth and height.

Good luck in your search!

Jun 24, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 9
U can check out the KBEAR Diamond.
About $70, maybe cheaper during sales.

It is an upgrade over the BLON BL-03 in all departments (technicalities, timbre, tonality, fit, isolation). Except maybe it loses to the BL-03 in soundstage width, but it beats the BL-03 in soundstage depth and height.

Good luck in your search!
Thanks. I was looking at the comparative reviews on Crinicle and that other blog and it sounded like what fits my bill more is the Moondrop Starfield. I can't have small soundstages anymore.

On the other hand, it's a hundred bucks, which is far from 30$ and already puts it in the range of the Sony EX800, which I've been recommended in the old thread.
Also no one seems to be selling used Moondrop stuff...

Anyway, I wonder if there are some other models I may have missed in the sub-100 range.

Jun 24, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks. I was looking at the comparative reviews on Crinicle and that other blog and it sounded like what fits my bill more is the Moondrop Starfield. I can't have small soundstages anymore.

On the other hand, it's a hundred bucks, which is far from 30$ and already puts it in the range of the Sony EX800, which I've been recommended in the old thread.
Also no one seems to be selling used Moondrop stuff...

Anyway, I wonder if there are some other models I may have missed in the sub-100 range.

I don't have the Starfield, but from reviews I've read, it doesn't have the best soundstage actually among IEMs. If u want wide soundstage, most budget IEMs don't do the job, it might be better to go for earbuds or even headphones for soundstage. YMMV.

Jun 24, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #5 of 9
I have had the Moondrop Kanas Pro, 2 generation predecessor of the Starfield and it had a pretty good soundstage for the price, a wide and enjoyable sound field, a bit fuzzy and floaty.
IMO the IEM is only part of the soundstage quality, the source plays a big role too.

From how you describe what you are looking for, the Starfield sounds like a good option.

I'd advise against the EX800ST, it has a rather flat frequency response, a bit dry sound, and the weird shape and big vent design limit it's versatility.
Very natural and detailed, neutral-ish, but with punch, but not the "fun" tuning and clarity focused upper mid & sub-bass boost used by Moondrop.
Also, getting an EX800 for the price of a Starfield would be hard.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 9
Maybe look into the ibasso IT00? ($70)

Not sure how the new T2 plus would compare (much more balanced) and unsure of stage. ($45-50)

Both of these are recent releases.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #7 of 9
I don't have the Starfield, but from reviews I've read, it doesn't have the best soundstage actually among IEMs. If u want wide soundstage, most budget IEMs don't do the job, it might be better to go for earbuds or even headphones for soundstage. YMMV.
Sure, I mean it's relative. I'm comparing the BLON to the IE80, which to my (admittedly less experienced ears) sounded like it actually had a stage and not a simulated tiny room. And again I can only take whatever ratings I find online to judge, by which the Starfield seems to be very good...

From how you describe what you are looking for the Starfield sounds like a good option.

I'd advise against the EX800ST, it has a rather flat frequency response, a bit dry sound, and the weird shape and big vent design limit it's versatility.
Very natural and detailed, neutral-ish, but with punch, but not the "fun" tuning and clarity focused upper mid & sub-bass boost used by Moondrop.
I was under the impression (though my research options were limited) that with the IE80 I was getting the closest I could in a portable format to the sound of the neutral Senn over-ear headphones... But apparently (according to Crinacle) that's not true at all.

Jun 25, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #8 of 9
Maybe look into the ibasso IT00? ($70)

Not sure how the new T2 plus would compare (much more balanced) and unsure of stage. ($45-50)

Both of these are recent releases.
Thanks! The one review of iBasso I found on Google seems very promising, as if it delivered everything that the Starfield would have and more/better. But I guess I have to wait until the more reputable reviewers get around to it.

Or should I just jump directly to the Spring 1... Would be way above budget.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 9
same boat here, I think KZ KS10Pro, on the cheap side, or Fiio FH3 on the expenive side, I think I will go Fiio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back