Next Level IEMs - currently have JH Angie
Mar 7, 2018 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

buonassi

Headphoneus Supremus
Currently own the AK JH Audio Angie - I love it, but it's a bit large and unruly, also the uppermost treble octave is just a tad soft. I've grown accustomed to it, though a little more comfort would be welcome if I could get something around $1,000-$1,500 universal that meets this criteria:

Basically, I'm looking for what I already have, but has more air in the top octave and is more comfortable. I'm open to dynamics, hybrids, and straight BAs

tldr;
  • somewhat warmish without losing out on top octave
  • not as large as the performance series IEMs by JH
  • Linear bass (slight sub bass lift is OK) - can't bleed into lower mids
  • I love those mids gang, can't sacrifice on mids
  • Sibilance range between 5-8k needs to be very well controlled or even scooped out (I'm sensitive here, but I do use foams, so recs still appreciated)
  • no treble spike at 10K, or a little one at that
  • nice extension up to 15khz as I can clearly still hear this easily

I know I'm asking for a lot, but thought I'd start here while I lurk around @crinacle graphs and rankings a fiftieth time.

thanks in advance
-vince

Mar 8, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 5
you can always go custom :p

i'm not that experienced, i dont live close enough to any major iem purveyor to go try them all. ive never tried the uerr (custom tho...) but it seems to fit some of your descriptions

64 audio is basically revamping its entire lineup with their proprietary tia drivers, if you can wait (not all of them are out yet), im pretty sure they will have both universal and custom versions, idk if their tunings will be to your liking though, im guessing the 6 driver model (u/a6t (not out yet, dont get the current u/a6)) would be the best option for your descriptions

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeVHgNFF_Jz/

Mar 9, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 5
Mar 10, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 5
I would suggest checking out Campfire Vega and Hifiman RE2000. I’ve tried both at CamJam and the impressions are from there.

Vega is noticeably smaller than most of the iems in the market and should fit your need well in that regard. My two concerns are 1. It is a quite a bass heavy iem that, from my impression at a very noisy show( so it might be inaccurate) does bleed into mids a bit. 2. It is also dry in the upper mid to lower high region.

Hifiman RE2000 seems to be a better fit for you. From my impression, its sound signature is close to your sonic description. The only problem is that it is somewhat over your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back