next level dap
Jan 2, 2015 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

thoughtcriminal

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade my dap. My rockboxed clip zip has served me well but is starting to glitch out (I believe the wiring to the SD card slot is broken)
I want something that I won't have to upgrade again for a while. Something with a great DAC and good line out for a more powerful amp if needed.
My preferences favor speed, clarity and resolution over everything. Spacious 3d soundstage is important also, imaging must be on point. I love being able to pull single instruments out of complex tracks.
Now I understand nothing is perfect, and something must give. For me the best ”weak point” would be the highs. Loud work environments have killed most of my upper register, so I'd rather compromise on what I can't hear.

Budget is MAX $350 new or used and It must have expandable storage. I'm looking at the ibasso dx90 as an option. Any others to consider?
Any cheaper options worth considering?
Edit: the ability to use the player as a DAC for my phone or PC would also be a fantastic option. I see the fiio x3 does this.

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 2
Hi,

I myself moved from a rockboxed clip to a X3 then a DX90. The usual suspects as you pointed out at this price point will be the X5 and the DX90. Personally I went for the DX90 because I had a good experience with the ESS Sabre chip in the past. I have a Dragonfly as a DAC and I was quite happy with the speed and 'bite' that the music had compared to other more 'mellow' sounding DACs. The X3 is very musical sounding and I enjoyed it very much. But the DX90 is much more incisive, I'm more able to pick out nuances in the music.

But at the end of the day, its highly personal. Whats sharp and incisive to one person is mellow sounding to another. I'd suggest that you try to audition the X5 and the DX90 to see what you like... its your money and your music afterall :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back