Next DIY project: PPA or Gilmore V2 ?
Aug 19, 2003 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Karlosak

100+ Head-Fier
As said above, what do you guys think would be next logical step from my META42? Parts for both amps are nearly in the same price range so I'm interested which one sounds better. I love my HD-600 and would like to get the best of it. I know this may be a bit early to ask since the PPA amp is not ready yet.

Thanks for any income.

Aug 19, 2003 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 18
PPA! I can't wait for these things to start hitting the streets!

-dd3mon

Aug 19, 2003 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 18
Stay away from the Gilmore with high impedance cans like your Senns. Go for the PPA once it is out and official. It was built to blow away the META, and by all accounts it does quite handily. (eric343, as the the E in the META, say that it is that good.)

Aug 19, 2003 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Stay away from the Gilmore with high impedance cans like your Senns. Go for the PPA once it is out and official. It was built to blow away the META, and by all accounts it does quite handily. (eric343, as the the E in the META, say that it is that good.)

Stay away from the gilmore? but then you go on and compared the PPA with META? I don't think you provided enough reason to stay away from the gilmore.

Aug 20, 2003 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by jarthel
Stay away from the gilmore? but then you go on and compared the PPA with META? I don't think you provided enough reason to stay away from the gilmore.

The only reason not to go with the Gilmore is that it doesn't work well with high impedance cans. Nothing else needs to be said. When somethings don't work well together due to design issues or whatever, one reason is enough.

As BoyElroy pointed out, I was only speaking about the Gilmore's not liking high impedance cans like the Sennheiser. Many have reported that they don't go well with that amp. I owned a V2SE for a while and LOVED it with all the low impedance cans I owned, including very inefficient ones like the Grado HP-1000.

As to the META vs PPA comparison, the META can be made to work with any set of cans you can hook up to them short of electrostatics. The builder can add to or subtract from the design to more adequately make the META drive high or low impedance cans. The PPA was specifically designed to blow the META out of the water with its sound quality and design. By all accounts it has achieved this, but will cost a bit more at the same time.

Aug 20, 2003 at 6:54 AM Post #7 of 18
I think the Gilmore and PPA are both good amps. I have not yet had the chance to do an A-B listening test between them. For what it's worth, the ETA on the PPA is a few days from now. You won't have long to wait for someone to do a comparison.

Aug 20, 2003 at 8:36 AM Post #8 of 18
Thanks for help. Can't wait when the PPA will be out!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2003 at 12:37 PM Post #9 of 18
While I havn't specced out the price for the PPA yet, the price for the Gilmore is relatively cheap - around $30 best-case for just the amp board(assuming you do it on protoboard). Most of the cost of the gilmore is in the power supply, which will run you around $80+, but it will run fine from a +-15V $45 elpac. According to several people on IRC, the PPA will cost you significantly more, several hundred dollars if done properly, not including the power supply. Oh, and a tip on English: income usually refers to the amount of money a person earns, input is feedback to a question. I spent a while trying to figure that out
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2003 at 2:42 PM Post #10 of 18
ppa diy kit prices have yet to be determined ... but i doubt it would more then the current gilmore diy kit ...

Aug 20, 2003 at 2:57 PM Post #11 of 18
its blows away my meta with its max config ... its very quick and clear .. better than the MG OTL tube amp that eric brought to my meet at my place... will face it off tommorow with some other amps at tommorows meet ...

Aug 20, 2003 at 3:27 PM Post #12 of 18
Squalish, the PPA board will be considerably cheaper than the Antness Gilmore board and sounds great on a $30 24V Elpac wall wart. It is the rest of the components that will sock it to your wallet.

I'm guessing you can build a Gilmore for less if you buy your own parts instead of a kit, as discrete transistors are cheaper than buffers and opamps. As far as I know there will be no PPA kit, it's either DIY or get someone else to make it for you.

Aug 20, 2003 at 5:05 PM Post #13 of 18
I don't think that PPA should be much more expensive than Gilmore kit. Correct me if I'm wrong: All the parts for PPA can reach 250-350$ max in the basic modification (12x Intersil buffers, 3x AD8610, 1x Alps, JFEts, caps and resistors, enclosure, batteries or Elpac power supply). Gilmore V2 kit on the other hand costs about 400$. So (from what I've heard about PPA qualities) the PPA is the definite winner.

The only problem is that PPA isn't available as a kit. I hope so that somebody (Tangent or someone other) will offer all the hard-to-get parts.

Aug 20, 2003 at 5:33 PM Post #14 of 18
Karlosak, the Gilmore kit probably costs 2-4x more than what you would pay if you bought the parts yourself. Kits are expensive because it is a pain in the ass to put them together and support all the hobbyists who screw them up and need help getting their amps working.

Aug 20, 2003 at 5:59 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Stay away from the Gilmore with high impedance cans like your Senns.

the gilmore v2 i auditioned worked great with hd600. i don't see how an amp like that can not work with high-impedance cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back