Next big investment/full sized cans?
Mar 31, 2010 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Trysaeder

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm currently using AD700s, which I really like, but since my portable rig is near completion I need for find a goal to save up for next.

I'll probably spend 300-400 on my next item, so I can either get a headphone or an amp, but I don't think I need an amp for my AD700s or CK100s so I'm going for headphones.

I need something with great soundstage, fast, lean, detail, sparkly and have good imaging. Pretty much AD700 but better.

I'll be running these from my computer with Auzen Forte unamped, so it would have to be quite efficient. I looked in the headphone buyer's guide but there was nothing that did not need an amp in my price range.

I'm looking at the AD900 but I'm not sure how much of an upgrade it will be. I heard the AD1000 and AD2000 sound quite different to the AD700s.

Another option would be to save up for a more expensive amp+headphone combo, as I like my AD700s.

Also what do people think of getting an RSA Shadow and using it for both home and portable?

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 10
Sounds a lot like a K701 to me. There are a couple of ways around the headband issue. One guy even cut off the bumps on the headband to good result.

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trysaeder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need something with great soundstage, fast, lean, detail, sparkly and have good imaging. Pretty much AD700 but better.

AKG K701(2) is what you are looking for. To the letter
k701smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by NapalmK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds a lot like a K701 to me. There are a couple of ways around the headband issue. One guy even cut off the bumps on the headband to good result.

I just took some zip ties and secured the headband suspension in the correct position (fully extended for me) and that made the K701 MUCH more comfortable. The center bump didn't bother me at all after that easy and inexpensive mod.

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 10
+1 on 701 though the bumpy headband ticks me off every now and then. It's not hugely problematic so I leave it be. If you find yourself on the other side of the boat, you can always ghetto mod as aforementioned.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trysaeder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but I've heard the comfort isn't that great

K701 comfort is great after putting it to your head several hours and hours just like Grados. Many said Grados are not comfortable. My Grado SR60 is comfortable in my head after days and days of using it. Headphones simply adjust to the skull/head. I think there is no need to cut the bumps of K701 because it will decrease its good design.

To conclude, K701 is very comfortable in head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back