Next best file format smaller than FLAC?
May 6, 2015 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

RareArtists

New Head-Fier
For years, I have been one of those Apple / iTunes users encoding cd's to AAC custom settings of 192 kbps / 48 kHz
but each recent iTunes update has annoyed me more and more, so I want to switch my setup. 

While remaining an Apple user, it seems my best bet is to use:

X Lossless Decoder to re-rip my cd's
and
the best imitator of Foobar2000 to manage the library - any suggestions?

although I'm sure the learning curve will slow me down, I think it will be worth it.

Probably a dumb question, but I'm wondering.....

If for my uses, FLAC files are bit larger than I would like to go, are there any smaller file formats worth considering? 

Something smaller than FLAC but maybe larger than AAC 192 kbps / 48 kHz, which tend to average about from 4 - 6 MB per track

May 6, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 9
Audio CDs are recorded in 16-bit/44.1K, so making music audio files in 320K, at 16-bit/44.1K, should give should give you audio files that are almost equal to FLAC, your ears might (should?) not be able to tell the difference.

May 7, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 9
Get an encoder that can do "True VBR" and use the highest settings so it will go over 320 when needed but can go lower also when needed. If using a Mac, get XLD for this. It also has accurate rip. And leave other settings to auto because like mentioned, CDs are 44.1

May 7, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #5 of 9
In the nicest way possible I have to say:

I wouldn't bother with VBR.  It historically causes problems with some software.  It's not worth the risk IMHO.

More importantly, disc space is cheap today.  I don't think there's any compelling reason to use a lossy format for music you care about.  For transferring to portable devices where memory is limited, I can see it.  But for actually ripping and storing CDs?  No way.  I would only use a lossless format.  Disc space is cheap.  Your time to rip CDs is going to be hours and hours and hours.

That being said, XLD does a great job of ripping.  It's all I have used on several hundred CDs.  Highly recommended.

There are a good number of players for the Mac that are discussed in a giant thread here.  Here it is:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/mac-os-x-music-players-alternatives-to-itunes

The listing is a bit out of date.  I tried bunches of them and eventually settled on JRiver Media Center.  It has a bit of a learning curve.  It's not a polished OSX native application.  It's stable, very fast, and VERY full featured.  But it doesn't look like a Mac app and isn't all that intuitive.  It plays anything.  Has a very powerful database that makes it fast and flexible.  Very easy to find, add, and maintain album art.  Flexible views of your music.  It's a great application.

Brian.

May 7, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 9
bgentry - thanks for the suggestions

I should have been more clear about my needs, but you seem to have caught my drift anyhow. 

I do plan to encode my new CD rips to FLAC for general storage, but when I put them on my new DAP, I was hoping to find a smaller, but still decent file format.... which isn't too annoying to convert from FLAC

I've been meaning to overhaul my music library for years, but with my low-budget wedding approaching in mid July, I now have tangible motivation. 

I've got a FiiO X3vii arriving on Tuesday along with a 128GB card and my first goal is to encode a ton of CD's and work on creating a massive playlist for my wedding weekend.   I guess even with FLAC sizes I could fit a 200+ hour playlist on a 128 card.... which of course is more than enough.  But for the rest of the time, I'd like smaller files for the DAP

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #7 of 9
+1 ~BUMP~

I'm going to jump in and bump this one.

I'm chasing the same problem - Just bought an iBasso D14, and am using it at home on my AV system, but also use it on the road in my BMW 320i.

I'm a long time Tech (AV and computers) but fairly new to the HDA game. Haven't gotten a chance to pickup some true HD sources yet, just got it this week, want to burn in for a bit.

I'm re-ripping my library to FLAC, to a NAS, but want something smaller for my phone. I've got a Note 4 with a 200GB Ext SD card, so I COULD use FLAC's on the card, but ripping from CD's, I doubt there is going to be a discernible difference from 320 MP3's in the car environment.
(Unless I'm parked with the engine and the AC off ... not an option for more than 3 mins here in Florida, that is unless you're into intimating a baked potato ...! LOL)

Currently playing with creating 320 MP3's for portable use using dbPoweramp Music Converter, but as yeahx mentioned above, perhaps I'll use "True VBR" instead. I (~ahem~) assume that UAP or Hiby will play those.

All that said, I DO bring my rig into the house and hook up to my AV system where I ~could~ tell the difference, so I'm torn between FLAC and 320 VBR MP3's.

Guess the question boils down to: is there a choice besides FLAC Level 8 that results in a smaller file size?
FLAC seems to be the king in the lossless game. I've spent some time researching this and don’t see another solution, but maybe I'm missing something. (??)

Thanks, ALL!

PuterPro

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #8 of 9
I don't know of anything notably smaller than FLAC, which is also lossless. APE or ALAC might compress a tiny bit more, but we are talking 10% or less of a difference. Sort of not worth the hassle. You should NOT adjust the FLAC's default compression rate. Leave it at standard. Why? Because FLAC is optimized for a *fast* decompress. So that your portable player, or low powered player of some sort won't have any problem decompressing the file in real time so you can listen to it. Again, the compression levels in FLAC make a difference, but they are small and not worth messing with.

You should do some analysis on how many songs you want to have in which places. You mentioned FLAC as your main storage and you also talked about an iBasso with unknown storage and a Note with 200 GB of storage.

FLAC compression yields files that are roughly 860 kpbs (on average). This works out to roughly 350 MB per average length album. Some are smaller, some are larger. Double albums will be almost twice as big. So this works out to something like 300 albums in 100GB of storage. So your Note would hold ~600 albums in full FLAC quality. Roughly.

Using the same math, 320 kbps files are about 2.6 times smaller, so you can hold 2.6 times more albums if you use that format. Personally, I no longer feel the need to have my whole collection with me on a portable device. I'd rather have a handful of very large playlists (400+ songs) that I can choose from and know that I'll be entertained by those lists, as opposed to trying to choose from a vast library. This is mainly focused on car listening where my ability to choose is limited by lack of time and attention. Because I'm driving! :)

Good luck,
Brian.

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #9 of 9
I don't know of anything notably smaller than FLAC, which is also lossless. APE or ALAC might compress a tiny bit more, but we are talking 10% or less of a difference. Sort of not worth the hassle. You should NOT adjust the FLAC's default compression rate. Leave it at standard. Why? Because FLAC is optimized for a *fast* decompress. So that your portable player, or low powered player of some sort won't have any problem decompressing the file in real time so you can listen to it. Again, the compression levels in FLAC make a difference, but they are small and not worth messing with.

You should do some analysis on how many songs you want to have in which places. You mentioned FLAC as your main storage and you also talked about an iBasso with unknown storage and a Note with 200 GB of storage.

FLAC compression yields files that are roughly 860 kpbs (on average). This works out to roughly 350 MB per average length album. Some are smaller, some are larger. Double albums will be almost twice as big. So this works out to something like 300 albums in 100GB of storage. So your Note would hold ~600 albums in full FLAC quality. Roughly.

Using the same math, 320 kbps files are about 2.6 times smaller, so you can hold 2.6 times more albums if you use that format. Personally, I no longer feel the need to have my whole collection with me on a portable device. I'd rather have a handful of very large playlists (400+ songs) that I can choose from and know that I'll be entertained by those lists, as opposed to trying to choose from a vast library. This is mainly focused on car listening where my ability to choose is limited by lack of time and attention. Because I'm driving!
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck,
Brian.

Hi Brian!

Thanks for the lengthy reply, you touch on all the issues I'm grappling with!

RE: FLAC Compression rate: did a bit of research on this before i started, and read some VERY detailed articles with charts, etc. My takeaway was the compression rate is only reflected at time of creation, it has no bearing on playback, nor have I noticed any glitches or problems on either my (semi retired) S4 or my Verizon Note 4, using either Hiby or UAP.

I could be wrong, that might have happened to me once before ... {Grin}.

I chose level 8 because it give a little smaller size (and no noticeable encoding time on the machine I'm ripping with), but you're right, it probably doesn't matter, just showing my OCD (Computer Tech, goes with the territory)!

RE: Storage: Yeah, stupid me, didn't run the numbers. Main storage - NAS: 5x6 TB drives in RAID 6. Currently have about 12TB available, should be OK. :)
The iBasso D14 is a DAC/AMP, no storage. Using my Verizon Note 4 for storage / playback. With that 200GB card, I guess I'll have plenty of room even in FLAC.

RE: "I'd rather have a handful of very large playlists (400+ songs) that I can choose from and know that I'll be entertained by those lists, as opposed to trying to choose from a vast library. "
SO true! I already had started to compile a group of "must have" albums for the car.

RE: "This is mainly focused on car listening where my ability to choose is limited by lack of time and attention. Because I'm driving!"
LOL! ROGER THAT! I live in Florida, where at ANY moment some 93 year old that couldn't drive worth a d**n when they were 30, will suddenly decide "Oh I need to turn HERE!" and cuts off 5 lanes of traffic turning RIGHT from the LEFT turn lane!!
{Panic ensues}. 
Driving DEFINITELY comes first! You learn that if you've ever ridden a motorcycle (or bicycle) for any length of time. 
biggrin.gif
 Music changes only at a red light!

Thanks again for taking your time to reply, and so quickly too. I'll put this problem to bed. (and switch to FLAC 5, default, just for grins). Thanks for pointing out I was overthinking it. Typical. 
wink.gif

All the Best,
PuterPro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back