Next amp?
Dec 6, 2001 at 2:41 PM Post #9 of 16
Ok, so no one has a suggestion for you. Stop bumping it.
tongue.gif

Do you want portable or AC, glass or solid state? Do you want something that is paint-by-numbers or something where you have to think? Do you want to do math or want the math done for you? Do you want something you can complete in an evening or something that will take months just to get the parts from 3 different countries? Do you want something you can do 100% from the article or something that's gonna require a thread or 10 to get by with a little help from your friends?

Note that the Szekeres you mentioned is only a current amp; no voltage gain. It'll actually have slightly less volume than no amp at all. Without a gainstage, anyway. For 580s you want voltage and don't need too much current. (Although Tomo uses a Szekeres w/o a gainstage at times with his 300 ohm Sennies, so it depends on you)

Do a bit of research, decide what you're willing to tackle and what you're not (like that every AC powered amp project has the capability to kill you quite easily if you disrespect it, and tube circuits run very high DC voltages making them that much more dangerous)

You can narrow things down by complexity, danger level, price, availability, etc... in the process your next project will jump out at you.

I know, not very helpful.

Ok, build KG's pushpull 1815/1015.
No? Maybe BJ's Kumisa?

Check out that link that jphone gave ya, pete is making the board files available for a opamp/buffer amp...

------------
paul, it's not gonna happen. Said so in the #42 post. It's a datasheet implementation crossed with a cmoy crossed with stupidity. There's no reason to make a schematic for it.
tongue.gif

Dec 6, 2001 at 7:14 PM Post #10 of 16
Well, I want to build an AC amp. Not a tube one yet, so solid state. Basically, I just want it to be powered by a radio shack transformer.

I'd prefer something pretty cut and dry. I don't really have experiance with this stuff. I mean, the cmoy I built from the schematic. Electrical engineering is a field I want to get into one day (I'm 15), but now, I don't know crap.

Dec 7, 2001 at 7:13 AM Post #11 of 16
I would sugest that since you feal comfortable with the Cmoy that you expand upon that by maby adding Buffers to the output stage and maby a Buffer as a Virtual ground. This is Actualy Real simple and easy to impliment now that you understand the Pos's and the Neg's in's out's ect... Maby add a cross feed or somthing elce.

Dec 7, 2001 at 8:59 AM Post #12 of 16
Hello,

Match HD580? Such a vague question. Andrea's amp will match HD580 well, but chances are it's gonna be very hard for you.

Just pick one and build it. If you build anyone of them well, it will sound excellent. None of them is the best. None of the amps are good. The amps will be as good as you make them. So just start building and find out.

Tomo

P.S. Being able to build CMOY amp does not make you good at electronics. In fact, it is and should be a very trivial amp. (can't get any easier.) So if I were you, I would pick something that only a bit more challenging, not something that is extremely challenging. (Look at the article and it should be clear to you whether if the proj will be easy or not.)

Dec 7, 2001 at 11:53 AM Post #13 of 16
how does the kumisa III look? I'm a little bit afraid of "gradoizing" the sound of my phones. What about the thing a few months ago, ad823s and el2001s?

Dec 7, 2001 at 12:44 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

I'm a little bit afraid of "gradoizing" the sound of my phones. What about the thing a few months ago, ad823s and el2001s?

Actually, jude said the amp Apheared lent him with the AD823 and EL2001's gradoized his HD600's sound. I never tried Grados before I made this amp, but after trying Alessandro-Grado MS-1's in September, I know what he meant. I believe the gradoizing is more a characteristic of the AD823 op amp - using OPA2132, OPA2228 and LM6172 with the EL2001's did not produce this effect.

What's so bad about gradoizing your HD580's?
smily_headphones1.gif

Remember, you're actually going to have to order parts for this next project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back