Next amp recommendations
Mar 28, 2024 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MountainMotor

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I recently sold my THX789 and am looking to see what the recommendations are for my next setup. I'd like to get a double stack. I don't have anything that is really hard to drive. I split my time between my wired and wireless headphones and iem's so don't need anything real expensive. I was looking at a few of the Topping and Schiit setups but I'm not quite as versed in amp's and dac's as much as headphones and iem's. Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 6
I've had dozens of different amps and DACs. The best value is the SMSL DL200 combo unit. I have one with a Topping A70Pro sitting on it, but the amp in the DL200 is really impressive. $150 used on Amazon with warranty, so hard to beat unless you need a smaller form factor. I like them because they output 5 volts and any amplifier can fit on them short of the piggy size Gustard stuff. It may be all you ever need, but you can always add Ampzilla on top of it in the future if your white whale is the Hifiman He6se (I have another of those arriving in a few hours). For stacks, the Topping E30 II/L30 II, E50/L50, or the JDS Atom amp/DAC stack are all exceptional. With the all in one like the DL200 you get perfect channel matching, and room to expand with an amp in the future if needed.

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 6
I've had dozens of different amps and DACs. The best value is the SMSL DL200 combo unit. I have one with a Topping A70Pro sitting on it, but the amp in the DL200 is really impressive. $150 used on Amazon with warranty, so hard to beat unless you need a smaller form factor. I like them because they output 5 volts and any amplifier can fit on them short of the piggy size Gustard stuff. It may be all you ever need, but you can always add Ampzilla on top of it in the future if your white whale is the Hifiman He6se (I have another of those arriving in a few hours). For stacks, the Topping E30 II/L30 II, E50/L50, or the JDS Atom amp/DAC stack are all exceptional. With the all in one like the DL200 you get perfect channel matching, and room to expand with an amp in the future if needed.
Awesome, thanks for the info. I was actually looking at a few of the combo units from Fiio and SMSL wondering how they would stack up. I'm sure one of the combo units would be all I would need to be honest.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 6
Before making any recommendations, curious as to why you sold the 789? Was it because you didn't like how it sounded? or was it something else?
I sold it because I was an idiot and didn't think it through 🙄. I was planning on using a portable dac/amp because I haven't been able to use a desktop amp much lately but I feel the desktop amp sounds better. Now that it's gone, I figure I might as well get something better than what I had.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #6 of 6
The market these days offers an array of high-quality, cost-effective DAC/amps that are comparable in performance, specifications, and features. Personally, the decision often hinges on brand, aesthetic preference, and whether one favors an integrated unit or a separate stack configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back