Next $1000...Power Plant, PC, or more Audiocom goodies?
Oct 26, 2003 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Brandon_Ottawa

100+ Head-Fier
Help me out. Where should I spend my next thousand dollars?

Adcom ACE-515 (with stock PC) => Sony SCD-1 with Audiocom Super Clock II/Super Clock II power supply mods (with Elco HPC-10SP 5.5ft PC) => Enterprises Northwest Music Timbre IC 1.0 M => Headroom Max dual input (with stock PC) (Decware vibration dampening platform) => Cardas cable upgrade => Sennheiser HD600's

I feel that my system sounds better without the Adcom ACE-515 line enhancer. For some reason it reduces top end detail.

Anyways, which combination would my next thousand dollars be better spent on?

1. PS Audio P300 Power Plant with multiwave/fan
2. PC for the Headroom Max
3. Sennheiser HD650
4. More Audiocom mods for the SCD-1

Thanks for your help,
Brandon

Oct 26, 2003 at 9:11 AM Post #2 of 9
I just installed a Balanced Power BP 3.5 (new version), and it is stunning what it does for my system. I already used an older power conditioner on all but my amps (a Straight Wire Power Purifier PP-8). I chose this unit because (a) lots of great reviews of BPT products, (b) consistency of reviews (similar benefits, no negative reviews), (c) sensible, proven technology (although this unit includes Bybee filters which are controversial), and (d) it seem it would be able to drive my amplifiers well.

I shied away from the PS Audio products for three reasons. (1) They put out tons of heat, essentially as much as the equipment you are powering. (2) To power my amps, I would need the P1000, which is about $4000 USD. (3) the fact that so many waveform options are provided on the PS Audio products, and make sonic differences, suggests to me that perhaps the real issue hasn't yet been zeroed in upon. As with most emerging technologies (such as early digital), the expensive and over-engineered early products are examples of throwing money at the problem, and luckily hitting a few good solutions; yet the later products are far better at vastly lower cost. The PS Audio products are among the very best, but I had this philosophical objection (yet, it may turn out that the waveform tweaks are just the ticket to satisfy power demands, which often occur right at the peaks, making perhaps a triangle, for example, a better waveform... I just don't know).

Anyway, I chose the BPT product to start with, and set up a system including three extra power cords (to my two amps and my SACD player).

I'll get into a full review later. But my impression, and my wife's (better hearing and often faster discernment of subtleties), is that this has greatly improved the system. Many aspects of sound have clearly gone significantly in the direction of more transparent, subtle, resolving, focused, and controlled. And, the musical enjoyment is not diminished in any way.

The overall voicing or tonal balance was not changed. However, the bass is more defined and controlled, perhaps due to the lower output impedance of the power conditioner providing current when demanded, not a moment later due to inductance and resistance... hence making the bass a bit loose and having a sort of bounce back to it, as many tube amps can be heard to have. Now, the bass feels a bit more as if it is grounded to bedrock. Solid, with better inner detailing and separation of bass plucks, drum pats, foot tap shudders, pianos resonating (sounding large and 3-dimensional), and so on.

Midrange is more focused and detailed. On Dire Straits' album On Every Street, the remaster, track 6 (You and Your Friends), his voice is more focused, less vague. It moves forward in space just a bit, so it doesn't sound like he's behind a cloth, and the texture and expression of his gruff voice is far more clear. I hear vocals on Industrial Disease from Love Over Gold that I never made out before through the raucus din.

Treble is less hard in the lower treble, more extended and varied in the upper treble. I found that changing the feet under my SACD player made easily obvious changes to the treble, and it was easy to hear which was more "right."

The soundstage is bigger, closer in front, farther away in back, and instruments or effects appear more vividly placed and surrounded by their own envelope of air. The illusion of real instruments in front of you is much enhanced, at all frequencies. We just came back from the symphony last night, and the tonal balance of my system has been optimized to match live music; this power conditioner helped to make it sound even more convincingly real in its spatial, textural, timbral, and dynamic qualities.

Dynamics are distinctly better. I find I hear more detail at a low volume setting, and that I feel there is less of a sense of overload or compression as I turn it louder. As the volume goes up, I just here more of what seems like real, live acoustic or electric musical performance. The quiet moments and the spaces between instruments seem free of hangover or smearing from preceding transients, a lack of noise that triggers the illusion of reality a bit better.

Switching to LP, I found there seemed at first a bit less of these qualities. Then I realized the Vendetta phono amp was not plugged into the BPT conditioner. Plugging the phono stage into it made an immediate improvement of the same types as with the amplifiers, described above.

This is all a first impression based on 4 hours of careful experimentation (including bypassing the BPT for a time) and critical listening. And, it has only been operating for 24 hours, so I expect improvements.

While this reads like an astounding difference for $2k (there are much cheaper units available by BPT, all of which seem to be good value compared to similar products with perhaps less real technology inside), please remember that my first impression was of little difference. Partly, it may be breaking in (capacitors, dielectric, even the transformer and cables will take time to settle in performance). Plus, I have never had quite this much resolution in my home system before, so it took a bit of opening up my perception and interpretation for me to recognize what was going on.... Once accustomed to it, bypassing the BPT made it painfully clear what had been wrong with the sound before. More coloration, less detail, vague images, a mushier presentation. Less high-end, but still enjoyable and musical.

I'd say the power conditioner from BPT was like upgrading my amps' power supplies, and upgrading my cables, all at once. Not quite as big as a new preamp and amp, because tonally the system was not so much changed as refined. But it was like having upgraded power supplies and capacitors (from 10-year-old current to new Teflon ones).

I wish I had a headphone amp to test in the same way. I can only assume a similar level of improvement would occur as I heard with my phono amp being added to the circuit.

Sorry for the length... I was thinking about writing this up, so you gave me an excuse. For those that are shopping or thinking about one, here are links, first regarding BPT, then regarding most everything else. I'll put them in the next message.

Oct 26, 2003 at 9:23 AM Post #3 of 9
Links - BPT Power Conditioners:

BT2 review, owners name
Head-Fi - REVIEW: BPT (Balanced Power Technologies) BP-3 Balanced Power Isolator
Head-Fi - Monster vs. BPT
BPT 2 Signature sounded great
BPT sounds as good as Equi=Tech
SoundStage! Equipment Review - Balanced Power Technologies BP-2 Ultra Edition and BP-Jr. Balanced-Power Isolators (1/2002)
bybee, Positive Feedback
b-p-t.com
BPT ULTRA ISOLATOR PRODUCTS
BP-2 Ultra and BP-2.5 Ultra, Positive Feedback
Balanced Power BP2 review at Positive Feedback
6moons audio reviews: BPT BP-2+

Links - PS Audio and other Power Conditioner info:

Tweakers' Asylum - power line tweaking
General Asylum - (commentary on TAS 9-product review) - Jim Stoneburner, October 17, 2003
The Absolute Sound: Nine Power Conditioners
Stereophile - home made power strips
Stereophile - grounding your power
Stereophile - home made acoustic treatments; dedicated power
Stereophile Magazine - Power outlets; spray on damping
Stereophile - Ground wire for AC Mains
Stereophile - AC ground; spray on damping, sources
Dedicated Power Lines - tips
Dedicated Power Lines - important info
AC In-Wall Cable, and review
Enjoy The Music Tweak Page - dedicated power
Dedicated Power Circuit
Signal Cable co - Power Cables
Review: FIM - First Impression Music Cables and AC Outlets
Audio Tweaks - Tweak Ref. 93, Stillpoint ERS cloth
Head-Fi - power cable upgrade (debate on whether its audible)
The Absolute Sound: Richard Gray's Power Company 1200s
Richard Gray AC Treament Review - AUDIOPHILE AUDITION
Editorial Reviews Sorted by Alpha Name - All Results - eCoustics.com
SoundStage! PS Audio Power Plant P600 Power Regenerator (1/2001)
Head-Fi - Virtual Dynamics and other power cords
Head-Fi - Do power cords have their own sonic signature?
DIYCable.com - Asylum Power Cable, $50
DIYCable.com - Jon Risch designed power filter/surge protector
Head-Fi - Balanced Power - DIY
Hammond - Basic Transformer Hook Up Data
Richard Gray's Power Company, FAQ and specs
The Absolute Sound: Richard Gray's Power Company 1200s (and 7 other makers)
Search of Balanced Power, all forums, threaded
ExactPower
Plinius transformers, noise?
PS Audio drawbacks: hum,light, heat
Transformer Links!
Balanced vs regenerated
Balanced Power DIY questions
Daisy chaining outlets
Plitron toroidal with ES shield
EI transformer parts
Topaz transformers often buzz
Review: Equi=Tech ET2RQM
Two transformers
Transformer sources
2 transformers or toriod for balanced power
Balanced Power Debate with John Curl, Jon Risch
Tweakers' Asylum - balanced power basics, links
Links to Balanced Power companies
Richard Gray, Equi=Tech, and BPT products
Variac and balanced power
Interchassis potentials and balanced power
AC Line Conditioners: Friend or Foe? (03/1999)
Acme silver-plated cyrogenic outlets for about $40
Isolation Transformer with Balanced AC Output
Mythology of the Toroidal Power Transformer (07/1998)
The Origin of Balanced Power
6moons audio reviews: Running Springs Audio Haley
Chang Lightspeed Powerline Filters
Shunyata power products
Running Springs Audio Power Devices, RSA
6moons.com - product showcase: Shunyata Research Hydra 8
Shunyata Research Powersnake Hydra by Todd Warnke
AudiogoN ForSale : Accessories: Power Cond
AudiogoN ForSale: Monster Cable AVS2000Volt Stabiliz
eCoustics.com - Power Conditioner Reviews
monster power review
Stereophile Magazine - Monster AVS 2000& Equi=Tech 2Q and Q650
onhometheater.com - Wes Philips doesn't like Richard Gray
Richard Gray's Power Company 600S reviewed on AudioRevolution.com
Richard Gray's Power Company 1200S reviewed on AudioRevolution.com
Audio Tweaks - Tweak Ref. 289: simulate one richard gray power station
Tweakers' Asylum: balanced power recommended
Zero Surge Surge Suppressors Homepage
Surge Protectors, Surge Protector Manufacturers - Brick Wall
Negative comments on Richard Gray products
quail power cords
Sola/Hevi-Duty: Single Phase Electrical Connections for Low Voltage, General Purpose Transformers
Wiring an isolation transformer
Balanced power
Wired 10.11: Power Houses
Grounding Systems and Their Implementation
Grounding and Shielding for Sound and Video
Power and Ground Update
Audio Asylum - Power thread
Power Conditioners and chokes, 300 ma 5 Henry Hammond from PartsExpress
Jon_Risch's DIY balanced AC power
Studios - Keeping quiet
Jon_Risch's AC Power Line Filter & Surge Suppresor
Power Forum - P500 or P1000 for tube monoblocks? - Jim Stoneburner, September 16, 2003
PS Audio, affordable high end audio Opening Page
General Asylum - Home run AC lines installed - thanks guys! - TerryP, September 18, 2003
Cable Asylum - How is it that power cords can make a sonic difference??? - KeithA, September 15, 2003
General Asylum - Got my dedicated AC line installed........ - Sordidman, September 15, 2003
Commercial-grade power outlets (dedicated lines, how?)
Auricaps and transformers for power conditioning
Toroidal isolation transformer

Oct 26, 2003 at 9:55 AM Post #4 of 9
Whether or not a power conditioner (high-power signal generator, in the case of the PS Audio 300) is going to help will depend a lot on how dirty your power is. Have you measured the voltage level coming out of the wall and do you know how much it varies? Do your lights sometimes vary in intensity? Does your computer mysteriously reset? Does your music gear share a circuit with noise sources, like cell phone chargers or other gear or dubious quality?

I found the PS Audio 300 to make a huge difference to my system. Bigger than changing kinds of 300B tube in my amps, or than between zipcord and pure silver interconnects. If your power is not much good you need one, no question. If your power is clean to begin with you might not notice a difference.

Oct 26, 2003 at 10:18 AM Post #5 of 9
I think power conditioners and regenerators do much more than "clean up" the power.

1. They lower the impedance of the power available to your system. A simplification is to say it makes current available instantly at all frequencies and at higher rates.

2. They store energy so more can be used in one "gulp" than otherwise would be there from the power line.

3. The remove RF junk that gets onto your power. Any power line or cable is an antenna, and the longer it is, the more voltage it picks up. (They warned us last week that a solar flare might cause power grid problems... the electromagnetic energy from the solar wind can create huge potentials over the miles of power cables, tripping breakers.) Removing all the RF that comes into your system, and in the case of video and digital, comes from your system, prevents it from intermodulating down into the audio wavelengths and mucking up the music. This kind of intermodulation is measurable, as was done by Martin Colloms or Malcolm Hawksford (IIRC) at Hi-Fi News and Record Review in the old days (maybe still today).

All of this is on top of the issue of whether your refrigerator or air conditioner or computer, or the equipment around your neighborhood, is making the power line noisy. It is, and they do (everywhere!). But even if they didn't, the above issues are still problems for audio equipment.

Oct 26, 2003 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 9
Stoney,

Thanks very much for the in depth response. I am seriously thinking of purchasing an upgraded BPT after reading through those helpful links that you posted. Much appreciated.

I don't require a lot of current so perhaps a BP-1 ultra or BP-2 ultra would be best? At most I'd be running a Headroom Max, Sony SCD-1, and perhaps an external DAC at some point in time. I'd be upgrading the power cord when the funds become available so whether the stock cord is a C7 or C10 doesn't really matter.

I'd consider the BP-Jr II Ultra, but I'll admit that I'm drawn to the more visually pleasing units. Is there any sonic difference between the BP-1, BP-2, or even the BP-3? The units seem very similar except for the available balanced current and the different power cords. I won't be able to pony up for a BP-3.5

aeberbach,

I live in an older apartment complex. The power isn't perfect. Obvious signs are when the lights dim or when the tv flickers if a specific light is turned on. I'll require a power conditioner of some sort even though I have never actually measured the voltage level. I just want to make sure that I buy the very best that's available around a grand.

Brandon

Oct 26, 2003 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 9
Brandon:

I am also new to BPT products, so aside from the website and links, you might try emailing them with your system, your goals, and your questions.

Oct 26, 2003 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 9
You're probably aware that BPT-2 and PS Audio 300 are a fundamentally different design. BPT (from the links) seems to be a filter using a transformer to split the AC and cancel noise using a balanced topology and various conventional filter elements. A PS Audio unit is like a lab signal generator with way more power behind it, so it is not filtering AC but recreating it from mains - AC->DC->AC. Going through these conversions means that you waste some power, so if you power a piece of equipment using 100 watts you will be drawing more than 100 watts from the wall.

It was in a NY apartment I came to appreciate the PS Audio 300. I was building a pair of Welborne Labs Laurel IIX monoblocks and was really disappointed with the result. The voltage from the wall was too high by about 10V so all my circuit measurements were out and it was very dirty, the computer's UPS was kicking in at least every second day. The amps sounded muddy and voices or brass instruments especially were distorted and veiled. With a power conditioner they sound like they should.

Oct 27, 2003 at 1:04 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

A PS Audio unit is like a lab signal generator with way more power behind it, so it is not filtering AC but recreating it from mains - AC->DC->AC. Going through these conversions means that you waste some power, so if you power a piece of equipment using 100 watts you will be drawing more than 100 watts from the wall.

Yes, the PS Audio is a different class of the same basic function: clean power. It is a flexible signal generator and a power amplifier. The main drawback is the generation of heat. If you run an amplifier whose AC power specs are, say 230W (wall AC, not signal, wattage), then it will generate about that much wattage itself, so your total heat dump into the room is about 460W! Not good in the summer if you don't have an air conditioner; I don't, and my tube power amps are unusable already on the hottest weeks of the year.

The advantages of the PS Audio include regulation, so over and under voltage conditions are avoided. This should provide the most stable sound. With my BPT, I could tell when my wife turned on the electric oven... there was a slight reduction of the soundstage.

Another advantage is the ability to change the frequency from 60 to, say, 50 Hz, and to change the shape of the waveform. These may help get current where it is needed most effectively, with sonic benefits.

I have yet to hear of a system where the PS Audio didn't improve it, or at least maintain good sound (Richard Vandersteen told me that his system at the factory did not benefit from one, but this was probably due to a huge Navy surplus isolation transformer (and filter? He didn't say) that he installed there. Elsewhere, he liked the benefits of the PS Audio Power Plant.

Despite of all this, I am impressed by the BPT, and am glad I picked it (for heat, and cost, reasons).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back