NewToy-itis
Dec 8, 2001 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

M Rael

500+ Head-Fier
It wont be long now till my new toy gets here,
and the same for markl and his new toy.
$$ Headphones: New, expensive, impractical, exciting, outlandish, stunning, slightly decadent, luxurious, magnificent, slightly self-seeking, wonderful, astonishing.. and those are all happening inside me before they even get here!
NewToy-itis. Its the same the whole world over, no? But on its better days its a way to pay homage to other peoples industry and craftsmanship. I suppose on its bad days its merely a craving, but even then, theres not much harm in it?
And too these audio objects ask something of us. Class A gear is a world apart from a 'boob tube' experience. Some toys are shallow, but some are deep.

Dec 8, 2001 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 15
I think the word "impractical" sums it up perfectly
wink.gif
. But we can't help ourselves...

Dec 9, 2001 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 15
It is amazing how much joy new toys can bring us, even concidering the price (though your new toy sure is expensive M Rael)...

Dec 9, 2001 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 15
you have to tell us how they sound once they arrive. Maybe the A-Ts are the midway mark between HD600/RS1, etc and the R10s...

Dec 9, 2001 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 15
Yeah I'm happy to be getting these phones to try. But I was thinking a bit more about the toy analogy and its not very good.
I can think of other pastimes I've delved into in something like the same way I/we do audio, and they all required real commitment and research from me. My girlfriend is totally wrong: audio isnt just a carefree 'little boy' world of new toys and make believe. Theres something really rewarding about being able to identify quantities of 'value' that are hidden in physical objects; manufactured objects.
Its both an art and a science to wade into the pool of consumerism and consumer products, and then exit again, with a better appreciation and understanding- instead of standing there with egg on your face from having just spent way too much on a piece of crap. My girlfriend (and many other sorts of people) dont understand that part at all. And its so funny to me that this same person, who can watch TV infomercials and get taken in by them, can look at the pursuit of high quality stereo sideways.
Call me crazy, but I am fascinated with the differences in qualities that are in manufactured objects. Headphones included. It also includes the 71' Vette convertible I used to own, the old archtop guitar, the CR250, my painting tools and equipment, my La Pavoni manual pump espresso machine.. and I'm sure you all have your own lists. Unlike some unfortunate people in this world, we have not been so beaten up by life or an inhospitable destiny that we are blind to such interests as stereo. Or corvettes. or espresso.
</speech>

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2001 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 15
Well M, I continue to anxiously await your preliminary thoughts on your new cans...(when they arrive that is)

Dec 9, 2001 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 15
I agree with your assessment of, well, everything, M. It is sad that some people cannot appreciate the inherent quality of a given item, whether it be a headphone, a '71 Vette, a '75 Honda MC, a La Pavoni Espresso Machine (which BTW I use every day). Thanks for reminding us all how lucky we are to appreciate all these things. And also that the journey we undertake to learn more about them can be as rewarding, or even more so, as possessing them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2001 at 10:36 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by M Rael
Yeah I'm happy to be getting these phones to try. But I was thinking a bit more about the toy analogy and its not very good.
I can think of other pastimes I've delved into in something like the same way I/we do audio, and they all required real commitment and research from me. My girlfriend is totally wrong: audio isnt just a carefree 'little boy' world of new toys and make believe. Theres something really rewarding about being able to identify quantities of 'value' that are hidden in physical objects; manufactured objects.
Its both an art and a science to wade into the pool of consumerism and consumer products, and then exit again, with a better appreciation and understanding- instead of standing there with egg on your face from having just spent way too much on a piece of crap. My girlfriend (and many other sorts of people) dont understand that part at all. And its so funny to me that this same person, who can watch TV infomercials and get taken in by them, can look at the pursuit of high quality stereo sideways.
Call me crazy, but I am fascinated with the differences in qualities that are in manufactured objects. Headphones included. It also includes the 71' Vette convertible I used to own, the old archtop guitar, the CR250, my painting tools and equipment, my La Pavoni manual pump espresso machine.. and I'm sure you all have your own lists. Unlike some unfortunate people in this world, we have not been so beaten up by life or an inhospitable destiny that we are blind to such interests as stereo. Or corvettes. or espresso.
</speech>

smily_headphones1.gif

I just could not agree more!
Three cheers for the manufacturing,design,and creative industrys
out there and all the dedicated people they employ,
Hip hip hooray......hip hi ho........

Dec 11, 2001 at 11:29 AM Post #9 of 15
Add Chemex coffee makers, Triton Bass Boats, Triumph Bonnevilles, and Daiwa rods and reels.

All things the SO's will probably never understand, but as long as they put up with our idiosyncrocies (spelling?) we'll continue to put up with theirs.

Dec 11, 2001 at 1:15 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by cajunchrist
O.K. crazybutt
biggrin.gif

Hey! Thats the name of my pet sheep, not MY name!!*

[size=xx-small]*self depricating humor. i dont really own a sheep. do ewe?? Butt back on topic <cough>, ..oh nevermeind![/size]

Dec 11, 2001 at 3:45 PM Post #14 of 15
I love this hobby and it brings me more pleasure than any job I've ever had or girlfriend for that matter. I currently hate my job and when I get home it's nice to know that I have some toys I can play with and forget about life for a while(of course the 5 beers that I had on the train also helped
biggrin.gif
). I have a friend who purchased a fur coat for $1000 a few weeks ago and when I tell her about a new toy I purchased she just shakes her head and tells me I'm totally crazy. When I bring up the coat she tells me that's different because it is something she can wear. I have yet to see her wear it. I guess I'll never understand her as much as she never understands me.

Dec 12, 2001 at 1:20 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
And also that the journey we undertake to learn more about them can be as rewarding, or even more so, as possessing them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Indeed, most often - it's that lovely childish pleasure of anticipation... though not really childish at all... Knowing that you were not fooled by the commercial hype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back