News letter?
Oct 2, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #16 of 18

Quote:
We would need to know if the "Receive messages from the Administrators" option setting in the old forum was carried over or not during the change.

No. Not really.

I would say "Receive messages from the Administrators" is completely different to "Pass on our email addresses to an outside company and get added to marketeers databases."

<rant>
Please bring back the old forum. This one's awful. My editing window keeps jumping up and down as something higher up is constantly changing.

Too many adverts, empty featured sponsor boxes and reviews cluttering up the screen.

Web developers should be made to work with 14 inch 1024x768 screens to see how regular people cope.
</rant>

Oct 2, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:
No. Not really.  
I would say "Receive messages from the Administrators" is completely different to "Pass on our email addresses to an outside company and get added to marketeers databases."

With respect to your comment about getting added to marketeers databases:  If you're referring to Jangomail, then read their privacy policy here, in particular I believe the relevant section is titled "Your Email Lists and Databases."

If you still do not trust us or Jangomail, then either change your registration e-mail address here and/or uncheck the option from your profile, which, given your posts, I would imagine you'd have done by now.

Quote:
....Web developers should be made to work with 14 inch 1024x768 screens to see how regular people cope. </rant>

Between 75% to 80% of visits to Head-Fi are done with screen resolutions higher than 1024x768.  I'm not suggesting that real people don't use 1024x768, only that most real people (who visit Head-Fi anyway) are doing so with screen resolutions higher than that.  Not surprisingly, I personally perform far more page views on Head-Fi than most people here on any given day, and I'd estimate at least half of those daily page views I personally generate are done using a Samsung NC10 netbook, Apple iPad and Apple iPhone 3GS (and on many days, those devices are most or all of what I use for Head-Fi).

To experience the site throughout any given day as most do, I do not turn off the ads (like the Contributing Members, I do have the option to), nor do I use full-width forum view (which can be set by going to My Profile-->Edit Account Details-->View Forums Full Width).  Though I can and do often browse and moderate via my iPhone, I will admit that even I would like to see better support for a phone-sized screen (and we are working on it).  I do not have, however, any issues using either my netbook (1024x600) or my iPad (1024x768).

We are (and have been) working tirelessly to squash bugs (and I know there are still a good number to fix), and to improve the platform's performance, features, and navigation.  If you've been paying attention since May 5, 2010 (when we switched), there have been many changes and optimizations made.  Again, though, there's still more to do.

You've made very clear you're very unhappy about the newsletter, and about the forum software, and your input is appreciated, and will be taken into consideration as an important part of the collective feedback we receive.  I hope to still see you around here, swayne, but, given your level of disappointment, I'd understand if we didn't.

Oct 2, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #18 of 18

Quote:

With respect to your comment about getting added to marketeers databases:  If you're referring to Jangomail, then read their privacy policy here, in particular I believe the relevant section is titled "Your Email Lists and Databases."

If you still do not trust us or Jangomail, then either change your registration e-mail address here and/or uncheck the option from your profile, which, given your posts, I would imagine you'd have done by now.

Between 75% to 80% of visits to Head-Fi are done with screen resolutions higher than 1024x768.  I'm not suggesting that real people don't use 1024x768, only that most real people (who visit Head-Fi anyway) are doing so with screen resolutions higher than that.  Not surprisingly, I personally perform far more page views on Head-Fi than most people here on any given day, and I'd estimate at least half of those daily page views I personally generate are done using a Samsung NC10 netbook, Apple iPad and Apple iPhone 3GS (and on many days, those devices are most or all of what I use for Head-Fi).

To experience the site throughout any given day as most do, I do not turn off the ads (like the Contributing Members, I do have the option to), nor do I use full-width forum view (which can be set by going to My Profile-->Edit Account Details-->View Forums Full Width).  Though I can and do often browse and moderate via my iPhone, I will admit that even I would like to see better support for a phone-sized screen (and we are working on it).  I do not have, however, any issues using either my netbook (1024x600) or my iPad (1024x768).

We are (and have been) working tirelessly to squash bugs (and I know there are still a good number to fix), and to improve the platform's performance, features, and navigation.  If you've been paying attention since May 5, 2010 (when we switched), there have been many changes and optimizations made.  Again, though, there's still more to do.

You've made very clear you're very unhappy about the newsletter, and about the forum software, and your input is appreciated, and will be taken into consideration as an important part of the collective feedback we receive.  I hope to still see you around here, swayne, but, given your level of disappointment, I'd understand if we didn't.

Hi Jude,

I understand everything you said and will stop posting on this subject after this email. I just have one question if you don't mind (feel free to ignore it, I won't press the matter).

The Jangomail section you refer to says:

"While using this service, you provide third party email addresses which are owned by you."

Do you believe that you own my email address?

I provided my email address to head-fi for the express purpose of head-fi communicating with me. At no point did I get asked if it was ok for head-fi to pass my details on to anyone else nor did I, possibly naively , expect them to do so.

I did trust you, but there is no way I will trust an email marketeer regardless of what they say on their website. I mean, their postal address is a P.O box and they don't publish a single email address anywhere.

With regards, and for the last time.
Steven Wayne.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back