News :: Goldring GX200 IEM
Apr 14, 2007 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Veniogenesis

Headphoneus Supremus
Just another little news bit in the headphone world, though it's not exceedingy exciting. It's news nonetheless.
tongue.gif
Goldring has just announced the GX200 IEMs.

gx200.jpg

Quote:

The GX200 is a premium upgrade product where high quality materials and stunning audio performance combine

The earphones are perfectly suited for use with home entertainment systems or on the move with a portable audio or video player

Can be enjoyed while exercising - the silicone buds or Comply™ tips ensure an optimum fit is maintained at all times

The carry case is ideal when you’re on the move, as it provides a safe storage solution for the earphones and may be carried easily in a pocket or bag

The patented sound isolation technology offered by the Comply™ canal tips significantly reduces outside noise - perfect for use when travelling

Accessories included:
Bespoke carry case with integrated cable winder and external mesh pocket for protective storage of an MP3 player.
GX200 Earphones Features
Unique design with striking aesthetics
Constructed from high quality materials which include satin plated die-cast zinc bodies and machined aluminium jack plug
Triple method cable management system which allows the user to wear the earphones one of three ways; symmetric, asymmetric or necklace
Flexible, high performance cable with OFC conductors & interference shielding
Supplied with patented Comply™ canal tips which are constructed from memory foam and expand to create a comfortable seal within the ear. The tips are three times softer than skin and offer unprecedented levels of noise reduction and comfort
Comply™ screw locking system ensures the tips are securely mounted to the earphones and cannot come off in the ear
Supplied with soft silicone earbuds in small, medium and large sizes for optimum fit
Ergonomically designed speaker housing with angled front ensures easy insertion of tip into the ear canal.

GX200 Earphones Specifications
Driver 9mm drive units with neodymium magnets and titanium film diaphragms
Frequency Response 20Hz - 20kHz
Impedance 16ohm Nominal
Max power input 5mW
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) <0.3% (1mW @ 1kHz)
Sound Pressure Level (SPL) 95dB (1mW @ 1kHz)
Cable length (left earpiece to jack) 1m
Connection 3.5mm stereo jack

http://www.goldring.co.uk/headphones/gx200.htm

Oct 31, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 9
I recently ordered a pair of these through a subscription to What-HiFi for £10.15 (subscription promo that I think is still running). Since it takes 28 days for delivery I decided to jump the gun and get a 2nd pair from Play.com for £40 so I could listen to them now.

These canalphones I must say are definitely the best I've owned. OK, so I've never bought £250+ Shures, Ety's etc. but I've recently been using £100 Atrios, Vibes, EX90's and dare I say EP-630s. The GX200's seem to be very efficient and are easily driven so they sound louder at lower volumes. The soundstage on these is the best I've heard, quite airy and separation is excellent. Bass is enough to cause headaches but its a nice tight bass that goes very low and not bloaty like the Vibes (although with the foam tips it is very uncontrolled and muddy). Vocals are forward and as such can be scratchy depending on the recording but on better recorded tracks they sound very natural. Highs are were these things also excel, easily the best of the three and they deliver a nice crispness to cymbals, strings etc although they can be a little sibilant (my biggest annoyance with them at the moment).

Overall I would easily say these are worth £100+ as they seem to have the soundstage of an open can with alot of detail and a dark undertone to them that makes listening to music very engrossing.

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 9
I wonder if some extra break-in would sort out that sibilance. Have you tried using an amp or anything to isolate the cause of the sibilance?

I wouldn't like the sibilance.....

Oct 31, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #8 of 9
Nope an amp doesn't remove the sibilance on some songs. To be fair though the sibilance seems to be on my older recorded songs like 60s stuff. Newer recordings are fine and its only really badly recorded tracks its noticeable but not ear bleeding like my my ol EX70s or even the EP-630s.

These have seen about 15hrs burn in, havn't noticed any change. Might try some pink noise overnight to see how they settle...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back