Newish to cans, portable devices and need some guidance-I'm an old guy!!!
Jan 15, 2011 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

eclein

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey folks, I'm a retired drummer and have been really getting into all things hi-fi and now I'm launching into headphone land. I have some SR60's, some SR125's on the way and I use a Fiio E5 with an ipod touch-8GB. I want to get "THE" kickass portable audio player but seeing as I'm retired I'm cash poor. So whats the best BANG for MY BUCK....I'm storing files via wav but can do flac if need be...Cowon? Fiio X3 thats coming?? Hfiman?
 Please give me model numbers so I can search them out....hey Thanks folks!!!
 Ed

Jan 15, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #2 of 9
Ah, best BANG FOR YOUR BUCK would be: Sansa Clip+

Buy a 8gb with a 32gb card for $130~
It plays Flac standard, has great sq, works well with the E5, small, cheap, and great capacity

To go higher, get a Cowon s9/j3
They both play Flac

Get the S9 if your strapped on cash
Get the J3 if you would like to expand the memory, if you like good ui, and if you have the extra money

Order on amazon, they all are there.

Fii0 x3 would be called experimental, if even that. I don't like the idea of it at all.
Hifimans are for people who either think you need the GREATEST sq from a portable. I just think it's a placebo affect

Jan 15, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #3 of 9
Thats what I wanted to know...Thank you so much!!

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #5 of 9
The s:flo2 is a horror to update the firmware, and it's still a quite buggy device. Go with either a Sansa clip+ or a Fuze (not the Fuze+, it's too unstable ATM). Either of those will give you great SQ and not break the bank. 

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #6 of 9
Ι agree with the gentleman i am quoting

Clip+ 8 Gb + sd card , best bang for buck and the sound is nice

If you wanna go higher , Cowon J3 great sound/look/UI , i have both the clip+ and the J3 and tbh the clip+ simply sits there gathering dust once the J3 arrived

The SFLO2 is supposed to sound great but has problems with UI/battery etc

How much money you wanna spend ?

Better go for sth semi-expensive that will stick with you than something cheap that you may feel the need to upgrade soon

Happy hunting !!!

Quote:
Ah, best BANG FOR YOUR BUCK would be: Sansa Clip+

Buy a 8gb with a 32gb card for $130~
It plays Flac standard, has great sq, works well with the E5, small, cheap, and great capacity

To go higher, get a Cowon s9/j3
They both play Flac

Get the S9 if your strapped on cash
Get the J3 if you would like to expand the memory, if you like good ui, and if you have the extra money

Order on amazon, they all are there.

Fii0 x3 would be called experimental, if even that. I don't like the idea of it at all.
Hifimans are for people who either think you need the GREATEST sq from a portable. I just think it's a placebo affect

Jan 16, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #7 of 9
Read the OP's first post, as he's stated he's "cash poor". The J3 is a bit expensive, so the clip+ or Fuze seem to be the cheaper choices - plus they sound great. 

Jan 16, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 9
Hifiman is overpriced & buggy, and the Cowon X7 turned out to be a really outdated player before it was even released. The X7 has got some amazing SQ, but is it right for you?

If so, it's the #1 choice for SQ + capacity. The EQ and sound enhancements really can only be (somewhat) equaled by a Rockboxed player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back