newest member of team HD280...
Aug 29, 2003 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

pwrusr

100+ Head-Fier
...is me
280smile.gif

the bass is just what I wanted. A bit too much at times. however, I'm guessing that that's because I'm so used to my old cans
rolleyes.gif

the mids and highs are really there, well detailed and textured... I can hear stuff I've never heard before with these cans!!

I'll let these cans burn in for a week or two then see what I can do about writing a little review.

Aug 29, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 36
I forgot to say how they feel on my head now.

They are a little tight (not really "C clamp" tight like I was expecting). but from what I hear after a week or so it'll become much better.

So far so good!

And I got them for $69 at guitar center
280smile.gif

Showed them a printout of PC Mall's buy page and subtracted $30 off of $99... w000000t!!!!!
Thanks Jasper!

Aug 29, 2003 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 36
welcome to team hd280
smily_headphones1.gif

picked up mine about a week ago...my experience with the 280 bass is somewhat different, and seems very source dependant. i find them far superior with even a modest amp (compared to directly out of my ej955, revo or iriver), though they still need more burn-in. what kind of source are you using them out of? amped or unamped?

and they do get considerably more comfortable. they hurt the hell out of my face and jaw the first few days i had them, but eased up very quickly with a little modest stretching overnight.

i am absolutely in love with the detail and isolation they provide, and am considering getting a more powerful amp for them...i found the bass non-existant without at least a little extra juice, but that might just be me listening to my PX100 too much.

anyways, congrats on your cans!

:edited: dyslexic!

Aug 30, 2003 at 12:08 AM Post #4 of 36
I first started listening to them through my Panasonic SL-S361C protable CD player. I was blown away at how well the bass came out with it. Mainly because when I hooked my sonys up to it there would be very little bass.

Earlier I was listening to them through my denon avr1601 in the other room (digital hookup to a sony dvd player). They sounded nice and clean. These sennheisers exposed a noisey "hiss" that I could never really hear with the sonys. That 32dB of isolation can be the death of noisey sources
wink.gif

Right now they are hooked up to my computer. it has a Nforce2 based mobo (EPoX 8RDA). They sound more dynamic now and even more detailed. dead quiet, ultra clean sound.

so far the best source is my computer sound card, which is a very good thing because that's what it'll be hooked up to 90% of the time
280smile.gif

Aug 30, 2003 at 5:55 AM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Welcome to the team and you're welcome for the advice. I'm glad you like them.

If the bayre 770's have more bass then these I don't want anything to do with them... EVER. but I haven't heard them yet so I shouldn't talk :p

Listening to some more songs, and these cans keep getting better and better. I just can't believe how much stuff I was missing with the old sonys. so far the only thing I've done to the EQ is back the bass (60Hz) back 3.2dB in winamp. before it was a tad overpowering.

Still though I like them MUCH (x1,000,000,000) better then my sony's. it's just hard to get used to a new pair of cans after having the MDR-V600's for 4 years
280smile.gif

being the kind of persion I am (gotta know how it works!) I already took them apart to see how they were made and am VERY impressed!! BROVO Sennheiser!!!

Aug 30, 2003 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 36
pwrusr, you said that the Senn HD280Pro has more bass than your old Sony MDR-V600?
basshead.gif

I think I know why:

The MDR-V600 has almost no low-end extension and bloated/boxy upper bass response, compared to the HD280Pro.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 30, 2003 at 6:05 AM Post #8 of 36
Edit -- deleted humor that could stir up a hornet's nest... better not. Wish the moderators would activate the "Delete" function for everyone.

Aug 30, 2003 at 6:38 AM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
Edit -- deleted humor that could stir up a hornet's nest... better not.

but...but...i want to hear it now

Sep 2, 2003 at 5:44 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Jasper994
just curious, how's the burn in going?

They are getting a good bit more comfy. It took a few days to get here.
sound wise? well bass is still good (too good at times
biggrin.gif
). Mids are sounding good and very detailed. Highs are crisp and smooth... they really do sound good.

a change of pace now, I'm listening to some linkin park "breaking the habbit".
Wow does this song sound good on these cans!

Sep 2, 2003 at 5:46 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by ph0rk
I think the 280 has excessive emphasis in the 20-30 or possibly 40hz range. most music, you won't notice, but with some electronic music they throw program material down there just for kicks.

I tested the 280 Pro's (for the brief time I had them) in that range with test tones (sine waves) and noticed no response at all. I repeat, I heard nothing whatsoever below about 50 Hz, the drivers weren't responding. My other cans are just fine in that range and I can clearly hear 20Hz sine waves.

If you have Cool Edit, I'd be interested in knowing what you hear below 50Hz with your HD280Pro.

Sep 2, 2003 at 5:58 AM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
I tested my 280 Pro's (for the brief time I had them) in that range with test tones (sine waves) and noticed no response at all. I repeat, I heard nothing whatsoever below about 50 Hz, the drivers weren't responding. My other cans are just fine in that range and I can clearly hear 20Hz sine waves.

very odd! try a diffrint amp or a new set of ears
tongue.gif

perhaps yours are defective? or maybe they aren't getting a good seal around your ears?

I haven't heard bass reach this deep before on a set of headphones (of corse I haven't heard that many). I can hear bass well down to 25-30Hz. These cans go down there very well!
My ears I believe are the limiting factor since below 30 my ears will start flappin'
280smile.gif

Sep 2, 2003 at 6:00 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Jasper994
Great song, I love the Metora album! Try Nobody's Listening!!! ahhhh the bass!!!!
280smile.gif

yep, I just got done listening to that.
basshead.gif
GOOD BASS
basshead.gif

I'm listening to "in the end" now....
WOW!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back