Newer Portable Amps Should Be..
Oct 27, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the P-51, 0.7" is still too thick to be pocket friendly.

This is where I, along with 90% of portable amp users will disagree. I use my rig in my pocket very often, and sometimes I even forget it's there until I check or get up and move. It's not obtrusive in any sense of the word.

"Portable" in this discussion is very subjective. Even "pocketable" is up for debate, as everyone has different size and fit pants pockets.

So why would Ray, or any other manufacturer change what has been working (very well) for them for years?

Oct 27, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #32 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you consider that most amps are smaller than the iconic 'pack of smokes' i can't really see them getting much smaller. As an ex smoker i never considered a pack 'to big' to hide in a jacket/shirt pocket. Make them to small and then us big handed folk can't operate them. My wallet is actually thicker than my ipod+ibasso d3.

That just shows you have a disgustingly amount of money in your wallet.
Go spend it!
darthsmile.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is where I, along with 90% of portable amp users will disagree. I use my rig in my pocket very often, and sometimes I even forget it's there until I check or get up and move. It's not obtrusive in any sense of the word.

"Portable" in this discussion is very subjective. Even "pocketable" is up for debate, as everyone has different size and fit pants pockets.

So why would Ray, or any other manufacturer change what has been working (very well) for them for years?

They don't have to change anything.
But I think they will be interested in the fact that there might be a market for a slightly different product too.....

Oct 27, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you consider that most amps are smaller than the iconic 'pack of smokes' i can't really see them getting much smaller. As an ex smoker i never considered a pack 'to big' to hide in a jacket/shirt pocket. Make them to small and then us big handed folk can't operate them. My wallet is actually thicker than my ipod+ibasso d3.

My issue is not with the width and length. I find an amp with the maximum width and length of an iPod Classic perfect in all cases. My major issue is with the depth/thickness of these newer amps which I find absolutely absurd for a portable nowadays.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the mean time, why don't you consider going to walmart or target and get a small camera case that clips on your belt?

Leaves more room in your pockets, and makes it very portable (and convenient)

Sorry, I'd rather not carry an iPod and amp at all than wearing a camera/phone clip on my belt.

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #35 of 37
I've got a novel idea. Companies should start making mp3 players that actually have a good output.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #36 of 37
there are a few, but they are never going to design for the top 5%;its just not a big enough market

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #37 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a novel idea. Companies should start making mp3 players that actually have a good output.
smily_headphones1.gif

I thought I heard a few years ago that Xin or some amp manufacture was thinking about making a custom type of mp3 player of this nature.

I have been on Head-fi.org for a couple years and I too have noticed that portable amplifiers' size has not changed much. Although there are some pretty small amplifiers, the majority is still fairly large.

IMO, I don't believe portable amps need to be much smaller. If you don't have enough room to carry the device, then in most cases you won't have enough attention to appreciate the sound anyways. Well that's how it is for me.

If you are walking down the street with your portable rig, I would imagine that you are watching for other people walking around you and for cars while crossing the street. This means you won't have enough attention to notice the great bass/highs/etc.

If I'm listening to my transportable rig (h120/ibasso d1 DAC/amplifier(soon to be SR-71A)) I am usually at home, on the subway, or the library. In those instances I am able to appreciate the music.

I'm sure amplifiers are going to become smaller as time goes on, but as of now I am satisfied with what is offered. Honestly, I'm more concerned about portable amplifiers becoming as good as home rigs. I don't have intentions of buying a home rig because I'll barely be home to use it. But if I have a portable rig that sounds as good as a home rig then I won't have to worry. And I won't have to ever come back to Head-fi.org, lol.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back