Newer LCD-3 alternatives?
Aug 24, 2019 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mackat

Has made 3,500 posts, so he says anyway.
Hi,

I have had a pair of Audeze LCD-3 (pre-Fazor) headphones for a number of years that I use with a Mjolnir/Gungnir combo. While the sound is excellent, the size and weight make it uncomfortable for me to wear them for extended periods of time. In fact, I tend to gravitate towards using my trusty HD650s most of the time instead. I recently purchased the new pads and headband from Audeze in an attempt to make the LCD-3s more comfortable, and while the comfort did improve, it didn’t make them any less big and heavy. I have been out of the headphone game for over 5 years, but I know there have been technological advances made over this time. I am wondering if any new headphones in the $1000-1500 (preferably closer to $1000) range would compare favorably to the LCD-3s in terms of sound quality and to the HD650s in terms of comfort. I have seen that the Focal Clear has very good reviews and looks quite nice, and I would appreciate knowing any thoughts you have on this and other models.

Thank you,

Ben

Aug 24, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 8
Check out the Sendy Aiva. I have an LCD3 and a HD6XX. To my ears the Aiva puts out great planar bass and has HD 650 levels of detail and clarity.

The workmanship is beautiful. They are lighter than an LCD and they would be way below your spending budget.

Sep 13, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #3 of 8
Check out the Sendy Aiva. I have an LCD3 and a HD6XX. To my ears the Aiva puts out great planar bass and has HD 650 levels of detail and clarity.

The workmanship is beautiful. They are lighter than an LCD and they would be way below your spending budget.
Would you be willing to sell your LCD 3 ever?

Sep 13, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #5 of 8
No. These are the second pair that I have owned. I had seller's remorse nearly immediately after I sold the first pair. The LCD 3 planar bass is addictive and a must have in my collection of headphones.
hahah sounds like something i'd do lmao, glad you are enjoying them so much though,Its my endgame, although I know i'll never be satisfied with anything in life sadly

Sep 13, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #6 of 8
Meze empyrean is definitely worth looking at.

This is a well balanced review imho

I personally think the hp is a little overhyped (i do also own one) but if you enjoyed the lcd3 this hp is definitely worth a look/listen

Sep 14, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #8 of 8
+1 on the Sendy Aiva well under your budget and a very good planar. The Arya is at the top of your budget but is a really really good headphone those and the Jade2 and Susvara are my favorites of the HiFiMans well that and the HE-500’s just great for the price. I also think the Empyrean is overhyped while they are good just something about them just doesn’t do it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back