NEWBY NEEDS HELP!
Jan 20, 2009 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gmoz11

New Head-Fier
I'm new to the audiophile world, I must admit. I've had a pair of Bose Over the Ear phones for about a year and a half and want to upgrade to a pair that suits my ipod (classic) better. A good portion of my listening is done while studying in coffee shops, libraries, etc., so I've knocked off the open-back phones option. I'm interested in both the ATH A-700 and the Ultrasone Pro 700. Could I please get some feedback from people who have tried both, own one (love it/hate it), etc.?

I foresee being asked what music I listen to, and I have a lengthy answer
atsmile.gif
I love Classical (Tchaikovsky, Part, etc.), Jazz (Davis, Monk), Electronic (Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin), Singer/Songwriter (Dylan, Patty Griffin), Ambient (Stars of the Lid, Eno), Glitch (Alva Noto, Fennesz), Post Rock (Lift to Experience, Sigur Ros, Godspeed), Hip Hop (Aesop Rock, Atmosphere), Shoegaze (My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive), Industrial/Rock (NIN, Deftones), Rock (The Beatles, Radiohead, Wilco, U2, etc. etc.). THE BOSE ARE TIRED AND NEED A TAG-TEAM PARTNER!
tongue.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Argyle Shepard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep in mind that if you're in public, cans like the 700's are large enough that you will attract crowds of people asking if you work for Nasa.

Hahahaha, I'll keep that in mind
wink.gif

Jonathanjong, my budget's $100-$250. Maybe, mayyybe $300. I'm not unshakably decided on the two, so if you've got a better suggestion feel free to provide some names, links, etc.

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #7 of 12
Denon AH-D2000

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #8 of 12
Since you are wearing these in public a lot I would imagine looks are important as well as sound.

I would suggest checking out the Phiaton PS500. Here is a review of the phones by one of our discerning members, markl.

phiatonbeautyshotcj8.jpg

They are closed headphones with style and pretty good sound at $300.

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #9 of 12
Thanks for the Denon suggestion. I think they might be a little to big though. After researching more this afternoon I've been really interested in the Ultrasone HFI 780s, for the close impedance match with the ipod and for its $200 price tag. Anyone absolutely hate these headphones for some reason?

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #10 of 12
I've seen people say the 780s are good bass headphones. Other than that I don't know anything about them.

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #11 of 12
Please give us a break!
wink.gif

1. Use descriptive subject
2. Don't re-post in two (2) minutes when nobody even had the time to reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back