Newby in headphone 150$ budget
Jan 19, 2009 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Nicfix

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I'm an italian newbie in full headphones and i want to enter in this marvelous world...

I've a 150$ budget to buy a headphone to connect with my pc.. I've a Creative sound blaster x-fi titanium sound card and i'm searching for a couple of cans that doesn't need an ampl to work properly...

I haven't preference between open or closed but i want a overhear good headphones for music...

I heard music of pink floyd, dream theaters but also some fusion like the Spyro Gyra...
Have you any suggestions?

p.s.: sorry for my english
icon10.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 19
Well, the AKG K271s are relatively cheap nowadays, (mine were $60 with velour pads) but need an amp to sound their best. Unamped, the Audio Technica AD700 are in your budget. How much are Grados in Italy? They don't need an amp either.
Any reason why you don't want an amp?

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 19
I wan't a good headphone for now... after some time( and gaining some money
biggrin.gif
) i could buy an amp but for now i can't... So you're suggesting the audio technica... I've heard about grado's but i really don't know how to find them in italy... There are any grado's that i've to consider for my situation?

Remember no amp for now... Really thanks for answering!!!!

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 19
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros go for around $150 on ebay in the US. Not sure in Italy. They are great 'phones. The 80 Ohm version does not require a lot of power. (Of course, all headphones sound better with an amp.)

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 19
AD700 with a Fiio E5 and a good night out and you're still under $150.

Best way to spend $150 if you ask me.

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 19
If you can find a set of Grado's that will ship to Italy I definitely recommend especially for the music you're listening to. The SR80 or the 125 might be within your budget depending on shipping.

Jan 19, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 19
Forgetting about how to find them the grados are a good set of can if directly plugged into the pc sound card or it necessarly needs a dedicated amplifier... I've seen the grado sr80 and sr125... i'm not intrested in design my only wish is that the cans sounds good.... I've also seen a pair of akg and in my town i can easily buy anyone model of this productor... Suggestions on one of AKG models around 150$ ?

Repeat: Sorry for my poor english
normal_smile .gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD700 with a Fiio E5 and a good night out and you're still under $150.

Best way to spend $150 if you ask me.

Why exactly are you not considering a combo of Headphone + Amp if it is within your budget?

I would recomment the Alessandro MS-1 ($99) and a Fiio E5 ($30?) both have free worldwide shipping.

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #11 of 19
I'm new to the audiophile world, I must admit. I've had a pair of Bose Over the Ear phones for about a year and a half and want to upgrade to a pair that suits my ipod (classic) better. A good portion of my listening is done while studying in coffee shops, libraries, etc., so I've knocked off the open-back phones option. I'm interested in both the ATH A-700 and the Ultrasone Pro 700. Could I please get some feedback from people who have tried both, own one (love it/hate it), etc.?

I foresee being asked what music I listen to, and I have a lengthy answer
atsmile.gif
I love Classical (Tchaikovsky, Part, etc.), Jazz (Davis, Monk), Electronic (Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin), Singer/Songwriter (Dylan, Patty Griffin), Ambient (Stars of the Lid, Eno), Glitch (Alva Noto, Fennesz), Post Rock (Lift to Experience, Sigur Ros, Godspeed), Hip Hop (Aesop Rock, Atmosphere), Shoegaze (My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive), Industrial/Rock (NIN, Deftones), Rock (The Beatles, Radiohead, Wilco, U2, etc. etc.). THE BOSE ARE TIRED AND NEED A TAG-TEAM PARTNER!
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #12 of 19
@gmoz11 welcome to head-fi, do a search. on the A700, there are plenty of topics on both of the headphones that you are intersted in, perhaps make a new topic as well will get more viewers.

As for the Ultrasone Pro 750s, they sound very good, but not really for iPods and your current situation, as they sound their best with the music turned up, which even thou the design is closed but still can leak sound. And when u take it off, people can hear what ure listening to loudly :p Also they need to be burned in, sounds can change for the better after a while. Another note the Pro 750 has a rather clamping headband, if its too clampy you need to bend it abit to loosen it. Last thing these things a massive, and its also Blue, if ure after asthetics :p

Jan 20, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #13 of 19
@gmoz11: Didn't I just respond to a thread you started with exactly this info? <puzzled>

Sub-$150... For closed, Denon D1001 and MAudio Q40 will please, especially at the lower end. The Denons are cheaper. For open, I'd agree that the AD700s are probably the best bet, but some find them to be bass weak. The MS-1s are a good option for those who can't find SR80s for cheap, and are sometimes preferred even by those who can. So...I agree with everyone else, and I'm tossing in some closed-back recommendations.

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #14 of 19
Grado SR60/80/125 on Ebay UK

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the AKG K271s are relatively cheap nowadays, (mine were $60 with velour pads) but need an amp to sound their best. Unamped, the Audio Technica AD700 are in your budget. How much are Grados in Italy? They don't need an amp either.
Any reason why you don't want an amp?

Where did you get your K271s for $60?!?! Google only shows me ones for more than twice as much.
triportsad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back