[Newbie's Impression Thread] ATH W5000+Stefan Audio Art Equinox XLR Headphone Cable
Sep 11, 2008 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

OmoNemo

New Head-Fier
My impression about W5K are its liquid midrange, clarity and detailed, it also has sharp high and hollow sound as the cons but I still like its with my female CDs collection. Last week according to WindowsX suggestions, my good friend peeradonn re-cabled his W5K with Stefan Audio Art Equinox XLR, he told me that the cans sound superb on his Rudistor RP010B MKII and want my opinion on the cans with my stock W5K in my home system so I decided to have my listening session with it, of course this's not a fairs play, balanced vs single ended but I still want to know the differences between these two and finally came out this thread.

DSC03084.jpg

System:
Cans: ATH L3K, W5K, W5K+Equinox XLR cable[ peeradonn's ]
CD: C.E.C. TL51XR
PC: Mac mini
DAC: Bel canto Dac3
Amp: RSA The Apache
Cables: Cardas Golden Reference interconnect XLR, Kimber Kable AGDL Digital XLR, Kimber B-Bus USB, Kimber PK10 power cords.

As far as I knew the wrong cable would change sound signature of the cans, on the other hand the cans could shines to show its full potentials with synergy cable. After hours of listening to stock W5K and re-cabled W5K in comparison both connected to Ray Samuel Audio the Apache, apparently I'd say the Equinox XLR on W5K could draw the sound out of the drivers as its should be, then had me this results:

Bass: Getting tighter, emphasized the notes, improving the upper bass.
Midrange: Fuller, smoother and I could notice some sibilant sound.
Treble: More accurate, extended, less sharp and silkier
Soundstage: Wider, more air around the instruments.
Tonality: Well controlled and smoother than the stock one.
Image: Precise, weights up the hollow sound and bigger.
Detail: Better and clearer.
Soundstage: A bit narrow than the stock W5K but I think it's more like the soundstage of L3K, interesting.
Dynamic: Faster so I could enjoy myself more on rocks.

Honestly, IMO for some genres like pop and chamber music balanced termination is a bit too well presented, single ended sound more musical.

Comparing with my L3K:
The L3K is the Flagship of ATH line of products with good tonal balance, punchy bass, full mid and as a newbie here I wanna say it's one of the best all around cans that I ever listen to. After my listening hours I'm impressed with the sound I heard, I used to listen to W5K and L3K frequently L3K won hands down on low frequency, fuller midrange and "you're there" feeling. This time re-cabled W5K breathe to its neck on the midrange but still need some work on the low area though. Tweak W5K excels L3K by it's wider soundstage and clarity as always but this time I felt more impressed with the results. Overall, L3K obviously still has the advantage over W5K but the re-cabled W5k come closer to its predecessor than the stock one.

Conclusions:
For those who satisfied with W5K on the system but still need some more out of your cans, Stefan's Equinox cable is one of many choices that you ought to consider IMO it's synergy with W5K. Thanks WindowsX for your advice on this W5K recabling tweak, appreciated.

Warning:
Recabling procedure could damage your drivers, it's your own risk, lets the experienced technician do the job.

Thanks for reading this far, enjoy your listening
L3000.gif

Sep 11, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 18
Thumbs up for great comment! Thank you for mentioning me! Cheers!!

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 18
Thank for sharing
darthsmile.gif

Good Reviews
tongue.gif

Sep 12, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #7 of 18
Don't leave balanced cable mistaken you. I'm the first ones who modded this (and it's single end). It's obiviously a lot improved from lame stock cables (despite its fine looks)

Sep 12, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't leave balanced cable mistaken you. I'm the first ones who modded this (and it's single end). It's obiviously a lot improved from lame stock cables (despite its fine looks)

In another thread you refrained from commenting why APS is not as good of a match as this cable. Care to elaborate here? Thanks in advance.

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A nice collection of headphones there. Which is your favourite ?

My fav cans is L3K bcuz it's good for many genres, STAX-007A MKII is outstanding in Vocal but it's not mine, I wish I could have one soon.

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #12 of 18
The v3 also sounds like it may pair well with the w5k for possibly taming sharp highs and putting a little weight on bass

but the biggest possibility are the Fitz f5005 mods for the W5ks

I would be interested in hearing your impressions of that - it's as simple as using some blu-tak, and as simply reversable as taking some blu-tak out

Sep 12, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In another thread you refrained from commenting why APS is not as good of a match as this cable. Care to elaborate here? Thanks in advance.

Apuresound couldn't get along with poor soundstaging stock cans like w5000. You can't expect to gain such "realistic" sound from poor imaging and soundstaging cans with Apuresound while Equinox can be opposite, though.

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apuresound couldn't get along with poor soundstaging stock cans like w5000. You can't expect to gain such "realistic" sound from poor imaging and soundstaging cans with Apuresound while Equinox can be opposite, though.

And you've tried both, I assume?
Just checking what my options are, elephas really liked Enigma Oracle with W5000, Asr APS with ATH-AD2000. Is stock cable really that bad, doesn't look this way for sure?

Sep 12, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #15 of 18
Well, I tried both in tail-end manner (and know what's far more suitable to come up with from stock ones)
For Enigma, I have such good faith that it would get along with primary lines quite well enough to be shown with L3000. For stock w5000, it's not really that bad. It just kinda reminds me about Cardas Crosslink sound signature like (in lesser ways)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back