Newbie with some questions about Beyerdynamic Headphones
Sep 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Phishin Phool

500+ Head-Fier
I am an audiophile that has been mainly involved with full size home audio in the past but have started to get into headphones and have a few questions about beyerdynamic headphones.

Currently my headphones are Pioneer SE-A1000, AT-M50's, and a pair of cheap Sennheiser HD200's as I have just recently entered the 'cans' arena. I have seen a lot of positive reviews on beyerdynamic and was considering getting a pair but have some questions.

What are the main differences between the DT 770's, 880's, 990's and the Custom one?
Also what difference is there between the standard versions and the "Pro" versions of each model.

A bit about my listening habits - I prefer a circumaural over-the-ear open headphone as positioning and soundstage are important to me while isolation is not. I am not a basshead but do like tight defined sufficient base. Midrange to me must excel ( My 'regular' listening for both surround and 2 channel is comprised of the following  primarily Paradigm Reference Speakers followed by Bowers + Wilkins and Definitive Technology).

Based on the above what are your impressions/recommendations. The model I have heard the most buzz about is the DT990 but didn't want to make a buying mistake if I can help it.

As always many thanks in advance for all your help/impressions.
The high-end dealers around where I live only seem to deal in full sized audio so this will be a blind buy - no auditioning available.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #2 of 5
You don't have a Guitar Center around you (assuming you live in the US)?  They carry all 3 models.

I can say from experience that if you want decent mids then the 770s are out.  They are closed and have a definite V-shaped signature to the point where the bass may bleed into the mids too much for your liking.

The main difference that I can think of:

770s - Closed
880s - Semi-Open - I have also read that these may be the most balanced of the bunch
990s - Open

I'm not sure what the difference is between the Pro and Premium models other than their looks (and price).

The COP, that I can determine, was made to be a more portable version.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks - I didn't realize Guitar Center had these - there is one within a reasonable driving distance from me so I will go and audition them.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #4 of 5
  Thanks - I didn't realize Guitar Center had these - there is one within a reasonable driving distance from me so I will go and audition them.

I'm going to assume your going to plug the headphones into your receiver?
The DT990 are full bass & full treble, which slightly overshadows the mids, but the mids are clear
The DT880s are more balanced then the DT990.
DT770s are the closed version, I myself prefer using the open DT880 & DT990.
Between the DT990 & DT880, the DT990 is the more "fun" sounding headphone.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks - yea these would be mated with an Onkyo TX-NR 905 AVR perhaps with a mobile player and DAC/AMP down the road if I like them that much.
I will go and check these out and perhaps the 880's will sound better than the 990's or something else there will catch my ear.
I really like the Pioneer Se-a1000's for the most part and they are my primary go-to for music atm but interested in a little variety/upgrade. A buddy of mine just bought a pair of AKG 702's and seems to really like them so maybe I will give those a listen as well - any further suggestions welcome.

Also if it makes a difference I listen to appox 85% live music and most of that is Jam Bands ((Grateful Dead, Phish, Yonder Mountain String Band, String Cheese Incident, moe., etc) and a lot of the remaining is heavily female vocals Norah Jones, Joss Stone, Alison Krauss, Dixie Chicks etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back