Newbie with questions about portable DAC and high end headphones etc.
Feb 8, 2014 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

amillionmonkeys

New Head-Fier
Ok, so I am new to the world of hi-fi, but have been looking at the forums and the web for some time now and am a little confused.

I aim to get some high end planar headphones e.g. Audeze LCD-3, HE-6 etc. I understand they require a good amp to drive them. I was wondering...if I purchased 'x' planar headphones, the Chord Hugo DAC, would I then pair it with a separate amp, e.g. ALO Rx MK3-B and then a player e.g. A&K 120? I realise this might be overkill. Does this set-up incorporate a lot of redundancy?. In other words, what separate high end components are required for a 'perfect' portable setup?

​Regards,

S.

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 7
  Ok, so I am new to the world of Hi-Fi, but have been looking at the forums and the web for some time now and am a little confused.
I aim to get some high end planar headphones e.g. Audeze LCD-3, HE-6 etc. I understand they require a good amp to drive them. I was wondering...if I purchased 'x' planar headphones, the Chord Hugo DAC, would I then pair it with a separate amp, e.g. ALO Rx MK3-B and then a player e.g. A&K 120? I realize this might be overkill. Does this set-up incorporate a lot of redundancy?. In other words, what separate high end components are required for a 'perfect' portable setup?

I'm sure those are great headphones, but why on just buy some 40-Ohm Audio Technica (W1000X?) headphones and plug them straight into the A&K120?
I listened to a A&K120 at the last audio get together in Burlingame and that A&K120 sounded nice, liked the interface too.

Feb 8, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks PurpleAngel. Must be the perfectionist/OCD side in me!

Let me rephrase it, which has probably been done to death a million times on these forums already, and consider it an academic exercise. Unlimited funds, what would your dream portable setup be? I realise what people listen to influences their choice, but fire away anyway.

Regards,

S.

Feb 8, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 7
Why do you need the A&K 120 - is this intended to be a portable set-up? Not many people walk around town with several thousand dollars worth of audio gear on their head. In addition, both the LCD-3 and the HE-6 are open headphones, so everyone around you will be hearing your selection in music, This can make you a rather unpopular person in your workplace or at the restaurant or library.

Many people would not start at the top. They would start more modestly, learn what they like and don't like, then work their way up the hill toward summit-fi. But hey, if you have $10K to throw at the problem, then go or it. Buy whatever strikes your fancy. There is no such thing as "best" in audio - there is only a group products at each price tier that each offer characteristics that appeal to different people.

Feb 8, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks Billybob.

Guess I probably come across as an idiot and I implied that I am in my original post. Just trying to make sense of high end equipment.

FWIW, I travel overseas probably 14-20 times per year on long haul flights. Don't care about the trip itself, but would like to get to the hotel room and think I'm in the Sydney Opera House or a Diana Krall concert when I arrive! Hence Planars which would not disturb anyone.

My fault for not defining portable. 

Regards,

S.

Feb 8, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #6 of 7
  Thanks Billybob.
Guess I probably come across as an idiot and I implied that I am in my original post. Just trying to make sense of high end equipment.
FWIW, I travel overseas probably 14-20 times per year on long haul flights. Don't care about the trip itself, but would like to get to the hotel room and think I'm in the Sydney Opera House or a Diana Krall concert when I arrive! Hence Planars which would not disturb anyone.
My fault for not defining portable. 

Me personally, I would get a FiiO X3 and an O2 headphone amplifier and maybe the Audio Technica ATH-W1000X headphones.
Both can run off batteries if you can't find the right wall socket.

Feb 8, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 7
If you are traveling, then you want closed headphones - like the LCD-XC or W1000X. However, personally, I would never travel with headphones that nice. Those headphones have absolutely beautiful wood cups - and wood *will* get scuffed and scratched. I just couldn't do it to those 'phones - it would kill me.

I would probably just get a pair of JH Audio custom IEMs and an AK120. An IEM is going to provide MUCH more isolation than a closed headphone, and IMHO on airplanes, isolation is worth MUCH more than a little bit of audiophilia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back