Newbie with ipod need advice
Feb 14, 2006 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

divad68

New Head-Fier
I know very little about headphone amps, other than what I've read here, so I'd be grateful for any advice as to which ones I should consider buying, based on my requirements, as set out below.

5G video ipod and three pairs of headphones. Sennheiser PX100's for out and about and a pair of HD485's & HD595's for indoors. The PX100's are just fine, but although the 485's and 595's sound reasonably good when connected to my ipod they give a hugely improved sound (particularly the 595's) when connected to the headphone out of my Yamaha receiver. So, I guess that they really benefit from amping for ipod use. I don't need anything that is portable (as the PX100's are great on their own), but equally I don't want anything too big as I want it to be able to position it on my cluttered computer desk next to the ipod. Ideally it would be AC powered as well as being able to run on batteries. I like a warm sound with a strong bass and sparkling top end (which is why the HD485's are probably my favourites right now). As far as budget goes, I wouldn't want to pay too much more than I did for my HD595's (£100), but if I need to go higher I will. NB: I'll soon have a line out adapter, if that makes a difference.

So, which amps would you suggest?

Feb 14, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 4
If your primary source is iPOD 5G, PA2V2 will be an excellent starter amp. And if you want to upgrade sooner than later, you can sell PA2V2 without too much hassle around here and get the better amp of course with much more higher price tag. I am keeping my PA2V2 for my portable setup on the go even if I buy more amps in the future which most likely I will. If you search it, you will have plenty of info. Good luck.

Feb 14, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for that pointer...will research that one. BTW I'm in London, UK so will probably need to find a retailer who will ship internationally. There doesn't seem to be as much choice of models over here.

Feb 14, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by divad68
Thanks for that pointer...will research that one. BTW I'm in London, UK so will probably need to find a retailer who will ship internationally. There doesn't seem to be as much choice of models over here.

I second the PA2V2 which I got recently and use with PX100's & a couple of different portables - the sound was greatly improved - the amp ships from Canada & arrives thru your letterbox in less than a week (I'm in UK too btw)
Gary (who builds the amps) is great to deal with which was a bonus - any help I can give you give me a shout ... Paul
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back