NEWBIE: What is DAC?
Jan 11, 2005 at 6:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

xing3ds

100+ Head-Fier
sorry, newbie question. what is DAC? what is it use for ?
will it improve sound?

I use computer as a source, via Audigy 2 zs soundcard to HD555.
and I'm getting an amp soon, corda MKII.
if i use DAC, will it improve the sound?

what is the price range for a external DAC?
where can i find them?

many thanks.

Jan 11, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #2 of 5
A DAC is a Digital to Analogue Converter, which takes digital sound like that on a CD or MP3 file and electrically converts it to an analogue signal than can be sent to headphones or speakers, and hence heard.

The problem with the audigy2 is that it resamples all the sound from 44.1khz to 48khz, with a very poor method, making it almost pointless to hook up an external DAC. You could get better sound by getting an EMU card instead of an external DAC, or a Chaintech AV710 to send sound to an external DAC, depending on how much you can spend.

EDIT:
Oh and external DAC's can run almost any price, but they don't start getting really cherry until at least the $500 or so price range. You can find them at most any hifi dealer (b&m or online) for sale forum, or audiogon.

Jan 11, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #3 of 5
many thanks for the respond.

$500??? arghh argh..... damn....!
let's says, I use av-710, a decent amp, and hd555. and i use a $200 DAC. will it actually made a lot of improvement? or should i wait till i have that $500 to spend of a good DAC?

yeah... i've been thinking to buy av-710 but couldnt find the stuff in Indonesia and Malaysia... and i dont think it will be available in Singapore too.

anyone in singapore, know where i can find av-710 soundcard at there?

Jan 11, 2005 at 9:22 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I've shipped AV710's to Australia before, it ends up costing about $35US total between the card and shipping. An EMU 0404 would be a better and more economical choice than a $200 DAC, and would allow you to upgrade to a higher end DAC later down the line though.

hmm.... nice suggestion. thanks.
I might get one emu0404 after i went back to australia.
600smile.gif
as from what u said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back