Newbie wants to upgrade Sennheiser HD555
Aug 28, 2013 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cdefeyter

New Head-Fier
My passion is listening all any kind of music, at night, when I am working on my Ph.D. studies. My HD555 has been very faithful, but I feel it is time to get something better. I am thinking of a Grado RS1(i), but with limited knowledge and no way to try any other headset out (I live very isolated), I am seeking some advice...

Thank for your help!

Chris

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 6
Whats your budget?Amp/unamped? Preference of music taste?

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 6
I recently tried the RS1i. Neutral sound, but man would you need different pads. Your ears literally sit against hard plastic, I don't know what they were thinking. Anyway, I personally think better cans can be had for the price. Here's a couple of guides that can help:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #4 of 6
If you want better Hd555, HD650 is right for you. RS-1i is pretty good can, but it sound different from HD555. It has more treble and much bright sound. If you want something really different from HD555, you probably like ultrasone PRO750 or DJ1PRO.

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the replies. I plug my headset straight into my cd player, nothing in between. I really do not have a budget, as I am open to getting a new listening environment. But I cannot justify headsets more than $550 to my wife ;0)

I like many genres, but what I most listen to is piano music by various artists in various genre (Helen Jane Long, David Lanz), new-age type music such as Kitaro, as well as jazz.blues such as Norah Jones, and Flamingo-guitar stuff like Jesse Cook.

I have never really felt connected to the sound of my Sennheiser HD555, as I like a full bass as well as crisp trebles (violin)

Another option would be to buy an Asus Xonar Essence STX, and start listening to cds through the computer. Would that improve the sound in the HD555?

I really have no way of testing anything out, so that is why I am here to get help!

Thanks for your help!

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 6
I've never tried them myself but read many reviews and I'm sure a lot of people would agree that the AKG q701 cans would be perfect, they are known for their crystal clear sounds, apparently they sound very detailed and would be great for your kind of music. Read up on them and see what you think. You would need an amp and dac or sound card/dac to get the most out of them though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back