Newbie wants help with closed can under $100
Jan 5, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #31 of 42
If others think the M50s are 'bassy', I'm scared to hear how anemic the others are. I'm running it out of a 24v wall-powered opa2227 amp, which is supposed to be bassy. To me, the bass is just 'there', but not enough for me (I like it when my headphones shake
smily_headphones1.gif
). They are also very detail and have a kick to them in the lower end.

But as another thread here dictates, YMMV, DONT FORGET TO GET A $2000 AMP CUSTOM TAILORED FOR THE AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-M50.

Jan 5, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by shake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If others think the M50s are 'bassy', I'm scared to hear how anemic the others are. I'm running it out of a 24v wall-powered opa2227 amp, which is supposed to be bassy. To me, the bass is just 'there', but not enough for me (I like it when my headphones shake
smily_headphones1.gif
). They are also very detail and have a kick to them in the lower end.

But as another thread here dictates, YMMV, DONT FORGET TO GET A $2000 AMP CUSTOM TAILORED FOR THE AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-M50.

OMG... I was hoping to use it unamped.
redface.gif

Jan 5, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #33 of 42
The MDR V6 is 63 ohms. The Creative Aurvana Live is 32 ohms. The others I don't know for now. What is important is this, your portable music player or PC as a source of energy for the headphones. I have an Aurvana Live which works fine connected to my Nokia 6303 but better with my PC. Still, the sound is lower in volume on my phone and the same goes for my MDR V6.

A Sony MDR V6 is a good buy and a good reference for later. I had the chance to listen to a Sennheiser HD 465 which was very pleasant and clear to the point of being neutral sounding. The bass was present but rather balanced. Still, I want isolation, detail, balance and for some reason the MDR V6 sometimes surpises me. Sometimes I discover a little sound I didn't hear before and I'm in heaven. Maybe the V6-es are somewhat addictive, I like their sound.

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MDR V6 is 63 ohms. The Creative Aurvana Live is 32 ohms. The others I don't know for now. What is important is this, your portable music player or PC as a source of energy for the headphones. I have an Aurvana Live which works fine connected to my Nokia 6303 but better with my PC. Still, the sound is lower in volume on my phone and the same goes for my MDR V6.

A Sony MDR V6 is a good buy and a good reference for later. I had the chance to listen to a Sennheiser HD 465 which was very pleasant and clear to the point of being neutral sounding. The bass was present but rather balanced. Still, I want isolation, detail, balance and for some reason the MDR V6 sometimes surpises me. Sometimes I discover a little sound I didn't hear before and I'm in heaven. Maybe the V6-es are somewhat addictive, I like their sound.

The MDR-V6 is costing $65 at Amazon. Is it a good option? Does it have advantages comparing to the others?

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #35 of 42
As a first serious headphone it's a good start. For portable you should take into account the length of the cord. Advantages: detailed sound, balanced, bass, fun and usable for all music. Also it's a classic with good sound quality which can work with almost any source and the build quality is very good. Compared to the only Sennheiser I listened to, a HD465 it's not as neutral in sound. I'm used to my V6-es so my recommendation is partial. Also I bought my V6-es second hand so they were already burned in.

They are a good start...

Jan 7, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a first serious headphone it's a good start. For portable you should take into account the length of the cord. Advantages: detailed sound, balanced, bass, fun and usable for all music. Also it's a classic with good sound quality which can work with almost any source and the build quality is very good. Compared to the only Sennheiser I listened to, a HD465 it's not as neutral in sound. I'm used to my V6-es so my recommendation is partial. Also I bought my V6-es second hand so they were already burned in.

They are a good start...

Hm, will I have to amp it to use with my computer?

Jan 7, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #37 of 42
Nope, I haven't yet and it worked just fine. Be careful when hooking it up to your PC for you should first lower the volume in the media player before playing music. In WMP11 I set volume between 16 and 21. Now in Mediamonkey volume is set on 30% volume, normal equalizer without sound amplification. Set the volume too loud and your ears will be damaged.

I will in the near future experiment with amping. You should ask someone with more experience about that. I'm still a noob in the amping department.

Jan 7, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #39 of 42
i was looking deeply into great closed cans, and i'd have to say the srh440 was a great choice for me. i was leaning towards the mdr v6 or ath-m50 for a while, but i prefer more natural, realistic bass which isnt too too boomy. this was the deciding factor for me. they are great all-around, and are actually louder than either my koss ksc75 or portapros [which i found surprising considering it's size] from my sansa clip+ 8gb/laptop. so i guess they are quite efficient as well. it can be really engaging at times too, so this seems perfect for rock music. a con ive noticed though, is that female voices sound the tiniest bit dry and grainy, but this has started to go away more and more as i listen to them. it might not be a problem as they age. i do not regret the money ive spent on these headphones at all. also, i tested out the sennheiser hd202, they were far too small for my ears and didnt sound nearly as good as the portapros i had with me in an a-b test. the lows leaked into the mids too much for me and sounded colored. so i think the hd201's would only be a step back overall.

Jan 7, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by blahblahblaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was looking deeply into great closed cans, and i'd have to say the srh440 was a great choice for me. i was leaning towards the mdr v6 or ath-m50 for a while, but i prefer more natural, realistic bass which isnt too too boomy. this was the deciding factor for me. they are great all-around, and are actually louder than either my koss ksc75 or portapros [which i found surprising considering it's size] from my sansa clip+ 8gb/laptop. so i guess they are quite efficient as well. it can be really engaging at times too, so this seems perfect for rock music. a con ive noticed though, is that female voices sound the tiniest bit dry and grainy, but this has started to go away more and more as i listen to them. it might not be a problem as they age. i do not regret the money ive spent on these headphones at all. also, i tested out the sennheiser hd202, they were far too small for my ears and didnt sound nearly as good as the portapros i had with me in an a-b test. the lows leaked into the mids too much for me and sounded colored. so i think the hd201's would only be a step back overall.

I'm so unsure
frown.gif

I'll buy the first great offer that I find, haha. Thank you anyway, guys. It's great to see you are so helpful.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #42 of 42
I currently use the Shure SRH440's and i can tell you these are really high quality headphones, you can pick them up on ebay for $80 new. I would gladly pay $200+ for them
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back