Newbie understanding USB DAC
Apr 4, 2005 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Tohex

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Wasn't sure whether to put this under DIY or PC-as-Source....its kinda both...here should be ok.

I just wanna know, that say if i get my hands on Guzzler's USB DAC or the like, what else i need exactly. As far as i am aware, i would need a headphone amp kinda regardless of what headphones i have (because the USB isn't necess. capable of giving enough power for most phones). In this case, what amp? I would like to build my own so Cmoy, Mint, Pimeta..something else ( am planning on buying either e2c, md-33 or ex-81 soon...may not even need an amp and maybe down the track i'll buy some full cans like the HD25-SP or HD202 or BT231, or something...or even Grado 60...Then again maybe none of these need and amp.)

Also, most ppl put RCA outs on their Guzzler's....so do i just build myself an RCA--> mini jack interconnect and then plug the mini into the amp and then the headphones into the amp?

Thanks for ur help.....i guess these are some pretty basic Qs...gotta start somewhere :p

Alucrep

Apr 4, 2005 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by alucrep
Hi,

Wasn't sure whether to put this under DIY or PC-as-Source....its kinda both...here should be ok.

I just wanna know, that say if i get my hands on Guzzler's USB DAC or the like, what else i need exactly. As far as i am aware, i would need a headphone amp kinda regardless of what headphones i have (because the USB isn't necess. capable of giving enough power for most phones). In this case, what amp? I would like to build my own so Cmoy, Mint, Pimeta..something else ( am planning on buying either e2c, md-33 or ex-81 soon...may not even need an amp and maybe down the track i'll buy some full cans like the HD25-SP or HD202 or BT231, or something...or even Grado 60...Then again maybe none of these need and amp.)

Also, most ppl put RCA outs on their Guzzler's....so do i just build myself an RCA--> mini jack interconnect and then plug the mini into the amp and then the headphones into the amp?

Thanks for ur help.....i guess these are some pretty basic Qs...gotta start somewhere :p

Alucrep

It depends on how high quality headphones you're likely to get. If they cost more than $300 for example, build a PPA. For SR60s, try a PIMETA - It's easier to build than a MINT and sounds better for roughly the same price. Use the MINT if you want an ultra mini device.

The outputs of guzzler's USB dac can be terminated any way you want. Heck you could even put the usbdac and pimeta in the same case, and run it's outputs to the amp boards inputs. The only external input would just be the USB
smily_headphones1.gif

If you're keeping amp/dac separate, you can put RCAs on the DAC's output, RCA's on the amp's input, and then you simple phono-phono interconnects. This'll give you the best performance / compatability with future equipment.

Apr 4, 2005 at 12:06 PM Post #3 of 4
a single box solution is nice if you want the smallest footprint on your desk top or never plan to change out any part of the system but if maximum flexability is an issue,such as changing or upgrading either the DAC or headphone amp in the future then two individual units are best

Apr 5, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks guys, just what i was looking for...all makes sense, i'd probably go with two different boxes, especially if i built a mint cause i would perhaps wanna take it on the road and future compatability is always nice...

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back