Newbie, UE series or others?
Aug 8, 2013 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

yeug

New Head-Fier
Hi, im a newbie and want to learn how to become an audiophile.

I am looking for a first set of headphones/earphones or what you guys can recommend..

I am looking at the UE4000 and UE6000, would one of these be a good pair to start with? Im looking at $250AUD Max.. Both these sets are 50% off at the moment at my local so wondering if they are good to start with.

If you have any other suggestions/recommendations pls let me know..

Thanks in advance!

Edit: i mostly listen to all types of music except rock, metal, classical..

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 12
[size=11.0pt]The UE6000 are noise canceling, and this is completely unnecessary if you plan to listen to music in your home. Actually many headphones are open, which mean they leak a lot of sound in and out. For a start I thing the Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80 ohm would be a good choice. They have a nice bass, are a bit bright and very comfortable. Another choice could be the AKG k701. Great headphones, detailed and with great soudstage. A bit cheaper alternative might be the Sennheiser 598 a bit more neutral then the other two. The last two are open headphones and might not be a good idea, if you’re planning on listening to music in a room with other people.[/size]

[size=11pt]However it is also important, where you are listening from. If you are listening to music from a low quality laptop for example, you will also need some DAC/amp to really appreciate those headphones.[/size]

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 12
Hi BrezicR, thanks for that. I don't really want to spend too much on headphones at this stage as i am going to learn off them.

I will mostly listen when I can get the chance to. I've got 2 kids, one is 3 and the other is 4 months old. So, will be quite noisy anywhere really. Hehe! But mostly will listen when travelling.

I'd probably listen off the iphone and when at home probably listen from mbp. Will that change anything?

Thanks

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 12
[size=10pt]Two kids? Then active noise canceling doesn’t sound like a bad idea :)[/size]

[size=10pt]If you’ll be using them for traveling and on your iPhone, then you need something more portable and with low impedance. In that case I would recommend Sennheiser momentum on-ears. I only heard the over the ears version, but I believe the sound signature should be similar. They are detailed, very good sound quality with a slight emphasis on bass. I think they cost around 150-200 euros. I was quite impressed with the over the ears version. They are made especially for portable devices like iPods or iPhones. The only drawback that I see is that they are a bit pricey and being on ear they can get uncomfortable after longer listening sessions. [/size]

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 12
Lol! Yup, 2 kids! Haha!

Just had a look at the sennheiser momentum on ears but they are quite dear.. They are $300+..

Icould get the UE6000 for $150 and the UE9000 for $250..

Don't really want to spend more than $250.. Do you have any other cheaper ones in mind?

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #8 of 12
Hello!

First off, I wanted to note BrezicR that impedance does not tell much, if at all a headphone requires an amp! Lower does not also necessary mean that the headphone are easier to drive! Feel free to read this post: http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-impedance

Both the UE4000 and UE6000 are fantastic headphone for basshead and the UE4000 are some of the best under $100 headphone in my opinion. The UE4000 is a very detailed headphone, bassy, slight roll off! Instrumental separation are great! UE6000 have a slight v-shape sound a bit better sub-bass than UE4000 and less dark but I would still consider it as dark. Both have very artificial vocals and have punchy sound

Other headphone you might like to look into that I find it better for your listening: Sony MDR-1R, PSB M4U1.

However, UE6000 have a nice extra Active-NC feature that owns a lot of travelers' heart especially at the price point! Considering that you can get it for 50%, that's a real bargain! It is pretty hard to beat at that offered price range

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Aug 9, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #9 of 12
Thanks for that Billson!

Just wondering if the $100 difference justifies just for going wireless as I've read from reviews they have the same soubd quality..

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
Thanks for that Billson!

Just wondering if the $100 difference justifies just for going wireless as I've read from reviews they have the same soubd quality..

They may have the same sound quality when both are wired not wireless! However, if you are planning to use the UE9000 for wireless, the sound quality definitely going to get lost a bit in comparison to UE6000. It is always best to use wired headphones for better sound quality as music sent through the air does not offer good sound quality unless you find that wired headphones are annoying xD

Billson :)

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #12 of 12
Thanks again!

Are buying headphones really this hard? Lol!

Haha it may be hard the first time you purchase, after that, you will know what you wanted, it will be a lot easier... At least, after getting a new pair, you will furthur know what you wanted xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back