newbie to speakers. question about amp/speaker compatibility...
Dec 28, 2004 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dallasstar

100+ Head-Fier
I mainly use headphones, and the only speakers I've ever properly dealt with are "multimedia speakers" with built in amps. I'm planning to make a proper (yet cheap) speaker set-up with a seperate amp and bookshelf speakers.

I want to use the Sonic Impact T-Amp to power the speakers, and the speakers I want to use are Signet SL250B. The final setup I have planned is something like this: Laptop->M-Audio Audiophile USB->Sonic Impact T-Amp->Signet SL250B Speakers.

What I'm wondering is this: could there be any compatibility issues with this amp/speaker combo? The T-amp says it only "Connects to any passive 4/8 Ohm speakers" (does this mean anything significant?). Also, the amp provides 15 watts of power, so I'm also wondering if this might limit the volumes I can get from these speakers. How do I know if the wires will fit? (Keep in mind I have yet to buy any of these items).

I'm sorry, I know next to nothing about amps and speakers, so thanks for any help.

Dec 28, 2004 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 7
Do you have any specs on the Signet speakers?

The efficency of your speakers, and the power put out by your amp, will determine how much volume you can get in your room. So look for some kind of rating, such as, just for example, 89 dB. And at what impedence? The lower the impedence from the speaker, the more power it will take for the amp to properly power your speaker.

Dec 28, 2004 at 9:31 AM Post #3 of 7
Have you bought the speakers yet, how much are those Signets?
There are many inexpensive but good sounding bookshelf speakers.
I am testing Sonic Impact T-amp right now and I can say they can mate with very good speakers in terms of sound quality.

Dec 28, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
Have you bought the speakers yet, how much are those Signets?
There are many inexpensive but good sounding bookshelf speakers.
I am testing Sonic Impact T-amp right now and I can say they can mate with very good speakers in terms of sound quality.

I have not bought these speakers yet. The seller tells me he bought them for 800 but will sell for 99. Would you recommend against buying the signet speakers? If so, what would you recommend instead?

By the way, after some searching, I've found that the impedence is 8 ohm and sensitivity is 88dB, so it seems like it should work with the T-Amp.

Dec 29, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallasstar
I have not bought these speakers yet. The seller tells me he bought them for 800 but will sell for 99. Would you recommend against buying the signet speakers? If so, what would you recommend instead?

By the way, after some searching, I've found that the impedence is 8 ohm and sensitivity is 88dB, so it seems like it should work with the T-Amp.

Did a search on Google, and failed to find any specific info on SL250B, it is probably a very old model.
The only thing that came close is Signet SL260:
http://www.innerear.on.ca/economist/signet.html
From the review it looks like Signet SL260 speakers is quite good, but I doubt if the SL250B originally retails for as much as $800.
Anyway, I have no idea how good Signet SL250B is, and I guess at $99 it may be worth taking the chance.
Another option is to go for Athena AS-B1, which can be auditioned at Best Buy for $150. It has been measured and reviewed by Soundstage, and given a reviewer's choice award.
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/athena_asb1.htm
Less of a risk to go for Athena because you know exactly what you are getting. And you can always add a MATCHED Athena subwoofer later.

AS-B1 is measured at 88 dB sensitivity and 8 ohm impedance.
That would not be a problem for Sonic Impact T-amp in a medium to small room, based on my own experience. My own Athena S2 (88.5 dB, 8 ohm) is singing happily with a T-amp.
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2004 at 3:17 AM Post #6 of 7
I did some research, and I found out that the Signets came out in 1992, so yeah, they're pretty old... However, the seller reduced his price to $80, so considering that this is about half the price of the Athenas and that I mainly use headphones anyway, I bought the speakers. If I don't like them, then life goes on and I'll get more speakers later. I'm on a strict poor-college-student budget
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for all of your help guys; I really appreciate it. I'm glad I didn't have to buy any ridiculous klipsch promedias
wink.gif

Dec 29, 2004 at 6:08 AM Post #7 of 7
Last I heard of Signet, it was purchased by a Canadian company....possibly the company that now owns PSB and NAD. Previous to that, Signet and Audio-Techica were either owned by the same company or were distributed by the same company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back