Newbie to headphones and home DAC/amplifier, need some recommendations!!!
Mar 10, 2013 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

shaunccxr

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone

I have been enjoying my RWA Imod + RSA 71A with UE Tf10pro for quite a while and currently found interested in headphones.
I am planning to get an AKG K701 or Sennheiser HD650 and I do need a good recommendation for table DACs.

I am planning to spend around $300 for a DAC, I did some research on this and found out guys really recommend the Maverick Audio Tube Magic D1 Plus and Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus (although this is abit over budget). Which of them has a better quality regarding the DAC and their internal amplifier (I know this is quite subjective but I dont have te opportunity to try it in my city). At this moment I will use my PC with all AIFF files as my source and not planning to use an external amplifier yet. I listen to Taylor Swift, Westlife (old school haha
tongue_smile.gif
) etc and some Cantopops, so I do focus on mid range and hopping to have a wide sound field and good details. Bass is my least concern, a fair bass with reasonable quantity is good enough since I am not a bass head.  Do any members have further recommendations apat from the two?

Many thanks!!

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 13
Don't get the Maverick D1.  I had one.  It's the biggest piece of crap ever.  You can safely skip and move on in your search.

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 13
A Matrix M-Stage dac would fit the bill pretty well till you move up the chain again. Has balanced XLR in-case you run balanced in the future, scaling of balanced compared to regular RCA is quite huge as long as your source is of high quality and balanced as well.

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #6 of 13
Cambridge Audio and Arcam are worth a look.
Have you thought about getting something used?

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #7 of 13
Not 2hand at this moment,originally I want to get a all in one DAC and amp but now I'm more in getting it separately. So actually is the maverick things good? 

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
Not 2hand at this moment,originally I want to get a all in one DAC and amp but now I'm more in getting it separately. So actually is the maverick things good? 

I've heard a few people say the Mavericks are second rate.

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #9 of 13
That is too nice of a compliment.  I'd say the Maverick is a coaster for your beer.  It will protect your table from condensation rings.  As a music box, it sucks.

Quote:

I've heard a few people say the Mavericks are second rate.

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
That is too nice of a compliment.  I'd say the Maverick is a coaster for your beer.  It will protect your table from condensation rings.  As a music box, it sucks.

Is it heavy?
It might make a good boat anchor!
I've never heard one BTW. I guess I don't need to.

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #11 of 13
So if i skip over the Maverick one,do any of you have some good recommendations?
probably looking between Teac UD H01, A H01 (basically what is difference between both), Cambridge DAC Magic or something else

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
So if i skip over the Maverick one,do any of you have some good recommendations?
probably looking between Teac UD H01, A H01 (basically what is difference between both), Cambridge DAC Magic or something else

To be honest with you, the Teac UD is rubbish, I'm glad I sold mine while ago. If you're talking about the latest version of the DAC magic than I have no clue, but if you're talking about the older one, couple it with some mods...is not bad but still not at the M-Stage level. Subtle differences mind you but with balanced your hearing surrounding (i.e. Soundstage) enlarges greatly.

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #13 of 13
I got a Teac A-H01 with a bargain price! Just found out A H01 is a better version of the UD H01 and it came with better Burr Brown DAC than the one UD H01 has

Users who are viewing this thread

Back