newbie to DIY w/ questions about Alien-DAC
Oct 21, 2006 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

nihraguk

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of picking up an Alien-DAC PCB off the current group-buy being organised, and trying my hand at this DIY thing. The only problem is that I have zero knowledge and experience wrt any sort of DIY electronics anything. I have not soldered anything in my life. So I have a few questions, which I'm hoping you guys wouldn't mind helping me out with:

1. Is this even a good idea? Should I be starting with a simpler DIY project? Does a simpler project even exist?

2. What sort of basic tools would I need? I know I should get a solder of some sort - any recommendations for something cheap that will get the job done within a college student's budget? Do I need a multimeter of some sort to check voltages and detect shorts? I'm based in the UK, so it would be great if any recommendations took that into account. I've already discovered Farnell's, and it would be nice if I could get everything (components and tools) from there in a single package.

3. Are there any common newbie mistakes that I should avoid or be aware of? Newbie mistakes referring both to those new to DIY in general and those specific to the Alien-DAC project.

I was originally thinking of posting this in the Alien-DAC construction thread, but figured the subject matter of this post was substantially different enough to warrant a separate thread. If moderators wish to merge this back into the other thread, please feel free
wink.gif

Thanks in advance.

Oct 21, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 14
Check THIS SITE out.

I would advise you to build at least a couple of cmoy's before you try the alien dac. It is not a beginner project and I wouldn't advise it as a first build.

That site has tons of info regarding first builds, tools, knowledge needed, etc.

Oct 21, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 14
The majority of the AlienDAC is surface mount devices (SMD) which can and usually is hard to learn fresh without prior soldering experience.
I would advise against making the AlienDAC your first project because it might end up in failure. You would need time to get used to your iron and polish your soldering techniques.

Oct 22, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos
I would advise you to build at least a couple of cmoy's before you try the alien dac. It is not a beginner project and I wouldn't advise it as a first build.

You always give this advice. I'd just try it. Everybody has to start somewhere, and I don't think this is any harder than a cmoy. Worst thing that happens is a board gets wrecked, so buy 2. They're cheap.

Oct 22, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #5 of 14
I agree with dsavitsk. It took me one night to "figure out" how to smt solder, and built my DAC (which I think is harder to build than the Alien) successfully on the first attempt. O.k., I screwed up one chip, but other than that, it wasn't hard at all
rolleyes.gif

Oct 22, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #6 of 14
Overall, the alien isn't that hard of a build. There is one point of contention though - the PCM2702. I don't know how hard they are to overheat, but @ 9.66/each I wouldn't exactly call them cheap. Not to mention they are not the ideal beginner soldering project. Unfortunately, I don't really think building a cmoy will really prepare someone for an ssop package as you can get away with fairly sloppy (ok, really sloppy) technique and get a functioning amp out of it.

Oct 22, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #7 of 14
Oct 22, 2006 at 11:04 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
You always give this advice. I'd just try it. Everybody has to start somewhere, and I don't think this is any harder than a cmoy. Worst thing that happens is a board gets wrecked, so buy 2. They're cheap.

Yes, everybody has to start somewere, but a PCM2702 maybe not the best place to start. What I understood is that the person is a newbie with no knowledge of electronics. I believe it will be easier to learn the basic of electronics with a cmoy, which is easy to troubleshoot and has plenty of info about it on the web.

My 0.02€

Oct 22, 2006 at 11:37 AM Post #9 of 14
Well, i'm doing it and it's my first DIY

I've had soldering experience when i was little with those LED electronic kits
I do it every now and then, until recently i've been doing quite a bit of guitar stuff

I got 2 pcbs and 2 PCM2702, just in case
tongue.gif

Oct 22, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nihraguk
I have not soldered anything in my life.
Is this even a good idea?

I do NOT recommend this project if you have no previous soldering experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nihraguk
Should I be starting with a simpler DIY project? Does a simpler project even exist?

Start with an amp. CMOY would be a good first project. Then perhaps PINT or PIMETA. Your time and efforts would not be wasted. You need an amp for Alien DAC anyway.

Oct 22, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #11 of 14
Some people will say "Start with simple amp... step by step, ok?", others will say "Just do whatever you want, its up to you".

Whatever path you choose, I would say you consider the facts below.

- This could be the last chance(at least at this year) to get the little but great DAC called Alien DAC. Time is running out.

- Getting your hands on simple amp like a Cmoy is safer and easier way to get in this hobby. In fact that is a great first DIY project.

- Once you have an Alien DAC, you will need an amp anyway in order to use the DAC.

So... why not grab both?

You can always wait and make Alien DAC later if you have the board in your hand.
But you may not able to get the board later if this chance is gone.

Grab a few Alien DAC boards, and at the same time, start making a Cmoy.
You will need both.

Oct 22, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #12 of 14
Many probably could do it but the majority should not. A lot of the cmoys posted as first time projects are not pretty solder jobs, although some look excellent. Apply that to the DAC chip, and chances are you are gonna come away with a very frustrating, costly experience.

Oct 22, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #13 of 14
Thanks for all your input, guys. I think I'll try the CMOY as my first build, and see how that goes. Might still pick up a pair of Alien-DAC boards anyway though, for the future. Right now I've taken a look at all the equipment and components I need... and I'm fretting over the cost and having second thoughts
blink.gif

Especially when a LDM+ will only cost me half the money.

Oct 23, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #14 of 14
i've got a lot of soldering experience, and it still takes me a while to pull a project together. i don't have the best tools or work area at home, and i'm not exactly the most patient person, so if you ask me it really depends on your capabilities on top of what you are working with. when i'm at work with the proper equipment and parts, i can probably work about 20-30% faster and more accurately than i can when I am at home, but that still might not stop me from making a stupid mistake like wiring a wrong pin here or there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back