Newbie to Classical.. be patient :-)
Dec 21, 2008 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

wtruitt

Head-Fier
Folks..
I am new to Classical, though I find myself drawn to what i would term powerful and full of emotion symphonies. The one that best describes my taste would be:
1812, Marche Slave, Francesca de Rimini, Capriccio Italien (Tchaikovsky)
Now, this 'may be' the worst recording of Tchaikovsky, but it's the best I have (a gift from a friend)..

Given that as a basis, would anyone kindly recommend some other pieces that may be similar in "power and emotion"? (I have no idea if "power" and "emotion" are the appropriate adjectives, though they are what I think of when I hear this piece)..

Thx in advance..

Wayne

Dec 21, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 17
I would start by perusing Tyson's list here, paying special attention to Romantic and Post Romantic.

I purchased the Bruckner Symphonies he recommended and they are superb. I have 3 other works on the way, but Amazon decided to ship these at a different time...

One composer I would recommend would be Shostakovich. Check out this example of his Quartet #3 3rd movement. This particular youtube example is the same group that Tyson listed for his suggestion for the Shostakovich quartet cycle. This is one set I have on the way to me. Not all of his music is fast and furious like this, but it all has extreme emotion. Highly recommend for your interest.

Dec 21, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 17
Power and emotion makes me think of Mahler's Symphonies expecially No. 2. Otherwise, getting Beethoven's Symphony No. 5 and 9 is almost mandatory to every classical aficionados.

Dec 21, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 17
Excellent.. I will try these suggestions.. YouTube clip is superb! Powerful!! Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would start by perusing Tyson's list here, paying special attention to Romantic and Post Romantic.

I purchased the Bruckner Symphonies he recommended and they are superb. I have 3 other works on the way, but Amazon decided to ship these at a different time...

One composer I would recommend would be Shostakovich. Check out this example of his Quartet #3 3rd movement. This particular youtube example is the same group that Tyson listed for his suggestion for the Shostakovich quartet cycle. This is one set I have on the way to me. Not all of his music is fast and furious like this, but it all has extreme emotion. Highly recommend for your interest.

Dec 21, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 17
Going to order both Beethoven's symphony's you mention.. thx :wink: Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Power and emotion makes me think of Mahler's Symphonies expecially No. 2. Otherwise, getting Beethoven's Symphony No. 5 and 9 is almost mandatory to every classical aficionados.

Dec 21, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 17
OOPS.... no I'm not.. my wife confessed to finding me Gardiner's 9 Beethoven Symphonies.. What a wonderful wife!
Quote:

Originally Posted by wtruitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going to order both Beethoven's symphony's you mention.. thx :wink:

Dec 21, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #7 of 17
Beethoven's Fifth and Ninth are great, but the one that really does it for me is his Seventh. For me, it has more power and emotion, especially the second movement. I highly recommend picking up a copy.

A couple others you might enjoy are Holst's Planets and Dvorak's New World Symphony. You should find plenty to like in both.

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #8 of 17
Ditto on the Seventh.... my favorite.

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by wtruitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OOPS.... no I'm not.. my wife confessed to finding me Gardiner's 9 Beethoven Symphonies.. What a wonderful wife!

I haven't heard of Gardiner's 9th but I've heard that it's very good. Other worth noting interpretations are Furtwangler's 9th and Karajan's 9th. These are very famous works and it's a good place to start.
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #11 of 17
-I firmly agree with Uncle Erik, definitely get The Planets by Holst and the New World Symphony by Dvorak
-The Mahler symphonies would be great, I also really like 5.
-Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 3, nothing like it, possibly my favorite piano concerto of all time
-Tchaikovsky Piano Conerto No. 1, another killer concerto.
-Saint-Saens Piano Concerto in G minor, this is a personal favorite of mine, not that popular, but perhaps check it out because it rocks.

Dec 23, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #14 of 17
Just remember that the language of classical is different. Where pop/rock/blues/jazz is somewhat circular in form, classical really tends to be much more of a true journey. There is A-B-A form, but the journey between those themes if often so long transformative, so that the restatement of themes is often radically different in context by the time you reach the end.

Anyway, be patient with the music, listen over and over again to get the feel of the form, and listen LOUD! Too many people listen to the music too softly, robbing it of intensity and feeling. I'd recommend you check the link in my sig, but seems as though someone already directed you to it
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-I firmly agree with Uncle Erik, definitely get The Planets by Holst and the New World Symphony by Dvorak
-The Mahler symphonies would be great, I also really like 5.
-Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 3, nothing like it, possibly my favorite piano concerto of all time
-Tchaikovsky Piano Conerto No. 1, another killer concerto.
-Saint-Saens Piano Concerto in G minor, this is a personal favorite of mine, not that popular, but perhaps check it out because it rocks.

i think i will also take your recommendation of rachmaninoff no.3,
i have never heard rachmaninoff before(only in the movie "shine").
in the meantime the copin piano concerto no.1 is in 1st place.
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back