Newbie to a "real" computer audio setup. What should I get?
Oct 13, 2020 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

torifile

500+ Head-Fier
Since I'm working from home for the foreseeable future (like many of you), I decided to devote a bit more to a computer audio setup. I've got a 2020 iMac with a bazillion gigs of storage available and nice secondary 27" monitor. I'm trialing Roon right now (it seems great but I'm just not sure I want to spend another $10/month on it). I using Tidal as my streaming service, in addition to both Apple Music and Spotify. (I know... Don't ask...)

I have mostly settled on a pair of Hifiman Anandas for my desktop cans. Right now, I'm using a FiiO M11 as my DAC/portable music player. It works but I can't help but think that it might nice to get a dedicated desktop DAC and amp. So, spend my money! I know that stratospheric costs can be incurred with this hobby, so let's keep it below $700, if possible...

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 6
Since I'm working from home for the foreseeable future (like many of you), I decided to devote a bit more to a computer audio setup. I've got a 2020 iMac with a bazillion gigs of storage available and nice secondary 27" monitor. I'm trialing Roon right now (it seems great but I'm just not sure I want to spend another $10/month on it). I using Tidal as my streaming service, in addition to both Apple Music and Spotify. (I know... Don't ask...)

I have mostly settled on a pair of Hifiman Anandas for my desktop cans. Right now, I'm using a FiiO M11 as my DAC/portable music player. It works but I can't help but think that it might nice to get a dedicated desktop DAC and amp. So, spend my money! I know that stratospheric costs can be incurred with this hobby, so let's keep it below $700, if possible...

I would check out the schiit Bifrost Dac in that price range, multibit. They also have combo dac/amp setups with very good sound and value..
IME..

Oct 19, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #5 of 6
If it were me. I'd look into a Gilmore lite MK2. $300 on the used market and a modi multibit dac around $150 on the used market. As far as simplifying things you can go with Schiit Jotenheim with a multibit card as a combo one unit solution and you'll be under budget.

Oct 19, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 6
I did something similar to what both of you are recommending. I ordered a Modius and Asgard 3. I thought about the having a DAC rolled into the Asgard but decided I'd like some more versatility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back