Newbie STAX question for grounding Japanese market amp to US outlet.
Jun 30, 2015 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

gotflute

New Head-Fier
Hi All,
New to Stax, not new to headphones.  After some research, I took the plunge and purchased a Stax SRM-1/MK-2 amp, as not only did the reviews seem good for solid state, but is also had outputs to both Pro and Normal Bias, if I wanted to collect in the future.

I purchased from a well rated seller in Japan.  I have a couple of concerns regarding grounding this thing.
1. I read about how japan doesn't use three prong outlets, and there seller included a transformer for the voltage that goes goes from  a  japanese non polarized plug to a american non grounded polarized one, but there is a ground tap on the back of the amp.  Is this an earth ground, like on a record player?

2. What the seller did not include is a power cable for the actual amp.  It looks like a standard computer power supply input (I have one that fits), but it is a three prong plug... very confused now.  

So, do I connect the ground from the back of the amp to the exposed ground that is on the plug going into my US three plug outlet, or, as I said before, to a different earth ground, leaving this third prong exposed?

I obviously want to avoid dangerous situations with this, as well as hum when I hook up my soon to be growing collection of STAX ear speakers.

I did do a search, but could not find anything.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back