newbie soldering
Aug 19, 2004 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

matrixxhw

Head-Fier
ive been having many troubles soldering. im trying to build a simple cmoy, and ive been using tangent's directions. however im having lots of troubles soldering. any tips?

Aug 19, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 5
Yeah I had trouble soldering as well in the beginning using my 10 dollar rat shack iron. I recently got a new weller temp controlled center and everything was a lot easier. And also make sure u get good and right solder. Dont get the one from radioshack, because the ones I was using at first, it would not stick onto the board. No matter what. It would be a complete mess before i got it to stay. Now with my new solder, all i do is touch it to the copper on the board, and it just instantly sticks on. What soldering iron are u using by the way?

Aug 19, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 5
Make sure your solder iron tip is clean and properly tinned. If it's not, then the solder will just glob up and go nowhere. The key is to make sure you are applying heat to the joint, not the individual component lead. That will allow the flux to flow onto/into the joint with the solder following.

....oh, and practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back