Newbie Setup Help - DAC - Amp - Soundcard
Jul 28, 2013 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

scrappler

New Head-Fier
I am totally new to computer audio so my questions may seem very basic.

I have the following equipment and am wondering which parts (if not all) I should be using.

1. Asus Xonar STX Sound Card
  2. FIIO E9 Amp
  3. Spitfire HD DAC
  4. Sennheiser HD650

I've been using the FIIO (Headphone Amp) and Xonar (DAC) and recently received the Spitfire HD. Should this replace the Xonar? use the Xonar to pass through SPDIF? something else? If keeping the Xonar with the AMP and DAC how will it know to use the DACs on the Spitfire vs what the STX already has?

I'm also confused how these all connect together. PC to DAC (spdif/usb) --> Dac to Amp (RCA) --> Amp to Headphone?

I hope I'm explaining this correctly as I'm a little lost in the setup.

Jul 28, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
I am totally new to computer audio so my questions may seem very basic.
I have the following equipment and am wondering which parts (if not all) I should be using.
Asus Xonar STX Sound Card
FIIO E9 Amp
Spitfire HD DAC
Sennheiser HD650
I've been using the FIIO (Headphone Amp) and Xonar (DAC) and recently received the Spitfire HD. Should this replace the Xonar? use the Xonar to pass through SPDIF? something else? If keeping the Xonar with the AMP and DAC how will it know to use the DACs on the Spitfire vs what the STX already has?
I'm also confused how these all connect together. PC to DAC (spdif/usb) --> Dac to Amp (RCA) --> Amp to Headphone?
I hope I'm explaining this correctly as I'm a little lost in the setup.

The Fiio E9 and Essence STX use the same amplifier chip, the TI6120.
Personally, I would just plug the HD650s straight into the Essence STX, makes it simple and use less desk space.
(but I know little about the Spitfire DAC)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back