Newbie seeks closed phones help...
Jan 27, 2009 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

moomaloo

New Head-Fier
Hi all. Great site.

Having just sold my beloved but almost totally unused RS1's on eBay to a buyer who turns out to be a forum member here I thought I'd check out the site. Looks like I might stick around for a while...!

Anyway, I'm looking for some good closed headphones and I was seriously considering the Denon D-2000. My question is are they a worthwhile upgrade to an existing pair of AKG 272 or would I be better saving for something more 'high end'. Maybe the Denon D-5000? (Which I really can't justify but have low will-power...)

Or something else?

Money is tight but my young kids make serious headphone listening a more viable proposition than it once was. Hi-Fi is very much a compromise for me at the moment as my home life just doesn't allow me the freedom to set up my system as it once was (my Grado's have been in storage for a few years. My Hi-Fi only very recently reintroduced...).

So... What do you think? Should I just stick to the AKG's or are the Denon's significantly better? They absolutely have to be a closed design. I don't mind leakage in but I can't have anything more than slight leakage out (otherwise I'll be scowled at!)

I live in (very) rural Scotland so a demo of anything is virtually impossible. Once I have some recommendations I'll see what I can do.

I listen to most genres though primarily 'classic' rock and (whisper it) 'prog'. Also folk, big orchestral stuff, Miles, Bowie, Dylan etc...

Thanks for rekindling the flame!

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #2 of 7
Welcome to Head-Fi!

Some prefer the K271/272 over the D2000 for sound, because they are more balanced with better mids.
They also isolate a lot better.
Isolation on the D2000/ D5000 is pretty poor.
So, if you asked me, stick with the AKG's.

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 7
The D5000s is a fantastic sounding headphone, but I agree that it's isolation leaves a lot to be desired.

The Beyerdynamic DT770 isolates much better, but doesn't sound quite as good.

I have not heard the AKGs, so I can't comment on those.

Jan 27, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #5 of 7
Denons will give you better stuff than the AKGs especially in the bass department. They are comfortable cans. Although with those kind of genres the other options could be the Audio Technica series... with W1000, ESW9 (poorer isolation)

Jan 27, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denons will give you better stuff than the AKGs especially in the bass department. They are comfortable cans. Although with those kind of genres the other options could be the Audio Technica series... with W1000, ESW9 (poorer isolation)

I don't agree on the K271 bass vs D2000 bass.
The K271/ K272 bass is textured, tight, detailed and tuneful.
The D2000 bass is fat, slow and has little detail and texture. It's a kind of one note bass. For instance you can not hear much difference between an acoustic and a electric bass.
K271/K272 is also better in the mids (no recessed vocals) and smoother in the highs (Denon's are harsh and sibilant).
That is: to my ears and with my gear.

Jan 27, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the advice. As for my kit, I'd added that to my profile and thought (wrongly) the info would be pulled through.

In a word... Naim

Naim Headline 2 / Napsc 2 'phones amp.
Naim CDX / XPS CD player / power supply.
Naim NAC102 pre-amp / NAC180 power amp / Flatcap power supply.

I also run a pair of PMC FB1 loudspeakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back