NEWBIE seeks amp for PowerBook
Aug 19, 2003 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

newguy

100+ Head-Fier
I am new to the world good headphones. I just bought a pair of Grado SR125s primarily to use with my iPod and PowerBook. I like to watch DVDs on the PowerBook. I love the Grados. Best sound I've ever heard. The iPod has enough power for headphones but I do have to crank the volume up 3/4 or higher but that's OK as I don't want to walk around with an amp.

But with the PowerBook I would enjoy a small battery powered amp that would significantly improve the sound of the DVDs I watch and listen to. I would like to spend no more than $200 but if there is an exceptional product I might spend up to $300 but I really don't want to spend more than that.

I would welcome and appreciate any recommendations.

This list is really helpful. The Grados and the iPod sound like high end audio equipment for a fraction of the cost. I just love the combination.

Aug 19, 2003 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 6
In a portable amp for those Grados out of a Laptop, I think the best bang for the buck would be something like either a Mint or a CHA47 in an Altoids tin. Both sound great with Grados, and an Altoids tin will be a nice, hip, little package to accompany your Laptop.

[edit] And that "newguy" screen name is going to be funny when you have 1,000 posts and $15,000 in headphones and amps by this time next year.
tongue.gif
Welcome to head-fi, your wallet will soon be in a world of hurt.
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2003 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 6
I've found my KGSS/Sennheiser HE90 sound pretty good out of my powerbook's headphone jack...
evil_smiley.gif

Try a META42 or a USB headphone amp...

Aug 20, 2003 at 1:46 AM Post #4 of 6
I appreciate these recommendations -- and someday I won't be a newguy anymore but today I am really new! I don't even know what these names are or more to the point where I would go to buy them. The only web store I know is Headroom and they recommend their own stuff but sell other stuff. What other vendors are good to do business with?

Aug 20, 2003 at 5:21 AM Post #5 of 6
Why don't you try the Echo Indigo card. The Indigo can be used in both Apple and PC laptops. I am using the Indigo with my laptop and a Grado 125. I just love the sound with this combination. I bought my Indigo new on e-bay for around $90.

Aug 20, 2003 at 7:30 AM Post #6 of 6
Hi newguy.

The Mint and CHA47 are both DIY (do it yourself) amps. Not a comercial product, but there are a few people here at head-fi who will build one for for you. I think JMT and Tigger are both guys who could build one for you.

Just shoot them a pm and you are set. Or you can build them yourself...

You can also go to meier audio

http://home.t-online.de/home/meier-audio/

Jan is a great guy to do business with. I hope this helps you.

Lukas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back